Water temp

(Probably of no interest to you Florida sailors!)

Here is an attachment with the 2004 surface water temps for Flathead Lake in NW Montana, heart of District 22. It gets warmer than Puget Sound in the summer, but it's 380 feet deep so it rarely if ever freezes over. This is at Yellow Bay Point, where it's very deep, so maybe it's slightly warmer at the sailing venues North and West by 5 or 10 miles. At about 6 feet down, it stays in the low 40's all of the time.

How does this compare to other's local ponds, and what are your thoughts on smart clothing? I've only raced a Laser here once, in August.

Thanks,
MG

Attachments

• YBP surface temp 2004.doc
    50 KB · Views: 36
MasterMike said:
How does this compare to other's local ponds, and what are your thoughts on smart clothing? I've only raced a Laser here once, in August.

Thanks,
MG

Sounds like an unusual lake, but maybe similar to sailing on the Pacific, where the water stays cold even in the summer. For sailing there one time I'd take everything I had to be ready for any condition. What will the air temp be? Will there be enough wind that you are likely to capsize? Also, even though the water is really cold six feet down, it would be rare to fall off and go that deep, except for if you are upright in the water, and tall--then your feet would be COLD. How cold tolerant are you? Just some factors to consider.

Thanks for writing Merrily - I assumed you were very busy with your Florida adventure! It perked my ears up when you mentioned a drysuit in Florida of all places! I thought, my gawd, what am I in for? But WAY north of me by 500 miles or so are hard-core sailors in Edmonton.

We swim in this lake all the time, people waterski and kayak. But not very many venture out into the middle because it's so big and weather can come up fast. You can feel icy cold eddys around your feet in the summer. But you can also drift along in 75 degree water in August. The water was 72, air 85 last August at the D22's. I used polypro layers and a shell.

I remember getting rides on big keelboats in Puget Sound. Middle of summer, hot, meet after work at the marina in your shorts and t shirt. Very soon it's an evening sail on the Sound with long pants, fleece, shells. But that's damp wet air.

So to answer your questions...yes, I plan on swimming regularly while practicing a perfect death roll. I don't mind cold water as long as I'm wrapped and above hypothermia stage. Sun helps to make you FEEL like it's warmer. The air is generally dry. I was hoping to get out there when it hits an arbitrary 45 - by then the air should be much warmer, but we're in the mountains in spring, so you never know!

Great stories from Florida BTW. I dream of joining you all.
Mike

I'm glad you enjoyed the writing. As far as the dry suit goes, when the water temp is 58 degrees F, I'm wearing it, no matter if the people on shore are saying, she's going to be hot. Yeah, I was a little hot, but not any hotter than the next day in fleece and hiking pants. And it saved me when I death rolled 3 times, and I was even a little cool then, since I wore thin long underwear.

Sounds like a beautiful place to sail. Hope it goes well.

The following quote is entirely out of context and probably means not quite exactly what it says..

Merrily said:
...I'm wearing it, no matter .. the people on shore are saying, she's ...hot. Yeah, I was ..hot, but not any hotter than the .. day in fleece and hiking pants. And ......I wore thin ... underwear.

Sounds .. beautiful ... Hope it goes well.

Remember...I didn't write it I just edited it a bit for the sake of confusion.

sounds nice all around Mike. I still need to get out there this summer.

Around here we sail in all sorts of water temps. In the winter it is cold, then in the spring, it is maybe a bit colder with mountain runoff. In the summer it gets warmer (ya!) and the fall is kind gross warm. Then the rains come and it's cold again.

dry and warm

Here's some good info on cold water for kayakers. It's organized by water temperature. You should always dress for water temp, not air temp, it says. We are a major kayaking town here, and people are out rolling and playing in the river in what, 33 degree water? Having a great time. I visited a kayak shop today and they have nice drysuits almost the same as Gill, etc. Similar pricing. A pee zip (or back door) seems to be a convenient new feature. Only real diff I saw was a waist overlayer that ties into your kayak spray skirt, which we don't need. The neck and wrist seals need UV protection, so there are neoprene cuffs. Has anyone had trouble with longevity on the Gill etc with exposed cuffs and neck?

Thanks,
MG

http://atlantickayaktours.com/Pages/ExpertCenter/How-to-Dress/How-to-Dress-5.shtml

Re: dry and warm

MasterMike said:
Has anyone had trouble with longevity on the Gill etc with exposed cuffs and neck?
l

My drysuit is a Kokatek (Kokatak?). Anyway, it has rubber seals at the neck and wrists, and you put 303 Protectant on them to keep them conditioned. So far, so good. Even if they do tear, they can be replaced by the owner or at the factory.

Back