Want to get back into sailing

kcmarcet

Hello all. I just joined this place and have a few questions. First I am not completely new to boats, i grew up in Rhode Island "The Ocean State" I spent plenty of time in boats when I was growing up, mostly just power boats, but my aunt did have a sunfish that she would take me out in sometimes. Now I live along the Gulf coast of Florida, lots of intercoastal water ways and bays around here. Just recently I have been bitten by the boating bug again. So the first question is are sunfish good in intercoastal waterways? Second question is how about off the beaches on the Gulf? I mean I know that they aren't made for heavy weather or rough water, but am I really asking for trouble if i went two or three hundred yards off the beach? Third I know that a lot of people learn to sail on Sunfish. Are they that easy to learn on? As I said I have been in them before, but I was pretty young, maybe 10 or 12 the last time I was in one. Thanks for any feedback you can give me about my questions.

Ken

… are sunfish good in intercoastal waterways?
Provided you have room to tack back and forth safely given the other boat traffic. That’s probably going to be more of a skill issue than a boat dependant one. Over 1000' is prefered, under 1000' can get crowded when lots of other boats are present and you are working up wind. You have legal right-of-way over power boats, but you can also be a horse & buggy on a freeway in areas of high traffic.

Second question is how about off the beaches on the Gulf? I mean I know that they aren't made for heavy weather or rough water, but am I really asking for trouble if i went two or three hundred yards off the beach?
When starting out, calm waters are highly recommended while you get your … um … er … feet wet. I think if you pick your day, waves, and weather wisely you can sail along the shore. Is there a boat club in the vicinity that sails beach boats? If so they might be willing to advise you on good local places to sail. Check at the Sunfish Class page to see if there’s a fleet in your area.
http://www.sunfishclass.org

Third I know that a lot of people learn to sail on Sunfish. Are they that easy to learn on?
One sail and two lines makes the Sunfish among the simplest boats to learn on.

Attachments

• P1.jpg
    P1.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 26
  • Sail a Sunfish in 3 Days.pdf
    4.1 MB · Views: 46
Prior to moving to the N. Carolina mountains, I sailed a Catalina 25 for several years on the Intracoastal (Okeechobee Waterway) and Gulf of Mexico in the Fort Myers, FL. area. There are plenty of wide spots on the Intracoastal where a Sunfish could be safely sailed, as long as you keep an eye out for the numerous shallow spots and use a good chart. Off the beach in the gulf...shouldn't be a problem as long as you pay close attention to weather forecasts and keep an eye on the sky.

I would strongly recommend staying away from the main ICW channel. Most powerboaters, particularly SeaRay captains for some reason, have no clue as to how much wake they are creating and the effect it has on a sailboat. Occasionally, a motor yacht would slow to idle and pass me with minimal wake when I was under sail. But most would plow by with no concern for whether I had the room to maneuver into their wake or not. On a 25', high-freeboard sailboat, it was often an adventure. On a virtually flat Sunfish, it would not have made for fun or safe sailing...especially on a busy Saturday or Sunday when all the crazies are out. :mad:

Just my 2 cents worth.

Back