Vote: To sail or not to sail

brlaser

To Sail Or not To Sail: Put the boat together, Thanks to Goerge at WestCoast, Here's the question: Temp in Baton Rouge now, 51. Canadian low expected overnite, This usually brings some wind. It should be about 30 to 35 in the am. This will be the maiden voyage for myself with the LASER. Let's here the vote ??? :cool:

Re: Vote

Thanks for the Vote George, All the parts came in , Boat is looking better all the time :D . Waiting on more votes to make it a done deal ???? Just have to convince the little wify of my intentions, Just kidding.;)

brlaser said:
To Sail Or not To Sail: Put the boat together, Thanks to Goerge at WestCoast, Here's the question: Temp in Baton Rouge now, 51. Canadian low expected overnite, This usually brings some wind. It should be about 30 to 35 in the am. This will be the maiden voyage for myself with the LASER. Let's here the vote ??? :cool:

This little wifey wants to know what the expected wind speed is, will it be steady, your sailing experience, and do you have a wet or dry suit? If you are not very experienced or the wind will be swirly and shifty, don't go out alone or maybe at all. People do sail in those conditions all the time but they take the precaution of sailing with friends and wearing proper gear.

the lakes are now frozen over here. if you have any chance of getting out, you better go. damn, 50 degrees ! what i would give for 50, even 47.

Alot of sailing experience. dry suit yes, former commercial diver. I take those as yes votes. Looks like I'm going ????

go for it, im stuck at boarding school in connecticut and would kill for the weather they have at home in florida right now, do it for all of us who cant sail for the time being.

CT, my home state. Tolland to be exact, close to the Mass border on 84. My son is in Quantico, VA. USMC breaching school, small world, where in Ct ?

Sam, my parents live in Watertown, small world. Dad's a golfer. The sail wasn't what I expected, IT WAS BETTER. These Lasers get it. I can't wait to get it on the water again. I'm hooked. Later, headed to New Orleans for the night. Later, :D BRLASER

wow, i'm really lucky in california. The coldest it's getting at night now is 34 or so, but it gets around 70-80 in the day... Although the wind seems pretty low during winter, I'm just learning this because I usually don't sail during the school year

wow it really is a small world, yeah i really miss the warm florida weather but it has been cool to see snow for the first time even though it has melted before it hits the ground. 4 days and 4 more exams till christmas break and SAILING

brlaser said:

Our fleet sails with the "20/20" rule -- if the temperature is below 20F or the wind is steadily blowing more than 20, we don't go out. Newport, RI sails with the rule that if the windspeed is higher than the temperature (in degrees F) they don't go out.

But a lot depends upon what your options are if something breaks. Frostbite fleets typically have at least one powerboat on hand, and seldom go very far from shelter.

Chris123 said:
Our fleet sails with the "20/20" rule -- if the temperature is below 20F or the wind is steadily blowing more than 20, we don't go out. Newport, RI sails with the rule that if the windspeed is higher than the temperature (in degrees F) they don't go out.

But a lot depends upon what your options are if something breaks. Frostbite fleets typically have at least one powerboat on hand, and seldom go very far from shelter.

I was wondering if those of you who sail in salt water have icing problems with the boat? Our "large winter fleet of myself and my sailing buddy" :) were out in a snowstorm last Sunday, temp just below freezing. 200 yards from shore you couldn't see land. Was a strange feeling following the shifts and not having a firm idea of where on the lake you were. Spray was freezing on our clothes, decks and lines. As my friend said "I don't need an auto bailer, I need a shovel" to empty the cockpit of slush. When we turned downwind we could not release the vangs as the lines were frozen. Mainsheets were getting stiff as well. Had to scrape ice off the boat when we got back and take rigging home to thaw.

Rock Steady wrote in another post "There is no such thing as inappropriate weather only inappropriate clothing." This is true much of the time but here the lake is starting to get hard. I will go down to the club and see if I can break up the thin layer of ice on the harbour (was -12C yesterday) so that we can get out this weekend (forcast just above freezing).

We are alone on the lake so we do not go far from the club and no longer sail alone. Would be a real blast to be able to sail in Montreal on Christmas day.

Bill

went again Monday, temp was 72 in Baton Rouge LA, winds 5 to 10 , gusty at times. Got my first wet _____. Later, Greg

You guys are lucky - at least you HAVE water to sail on there! Our local dam is at only 13% capacity, thanx to our 5-year drought! There are other dams around, but they're like an hours' drive away...
Doesn't stop me sailing tho...

Back