Viking Sunfish Clone

danpal

Hi,

Does anyone know if the hardware on a Viking clone is transferable to a Sunfish?

I have two hulls, one of which I would like to restore and the other I got free that I wanted to use for parts.

The original hull seems to be in good shape but is missing all its hardware (the previous owner wanted to repaint it and took off all the hardware but the hardware was lost).

The second hull looks almost identical to the first but there is a metal collar at the top of the mast tube. I thought that someone had added this but then I realized it was a Viking clone after reading another post.

I think the trim, coaming, bow handle and other parts should all fit but wanted to find out if anyone else has done this previously.

Thanks for your help,

Dan

Does anyone know if the hardware on a Viking clone is transferable to a Sunfish?

I think the trim, coaming, bow handle and other parts should all fit but wanted to find out if anyone else has done this previously.
Most of the hardware is pretty standard sailboat stuff..., blocks, cleats, eyestraps. Those will just be a matter of comparing screw hole spacing and filling & re-drilling where there's a mismatch. The bow handle, though not necessarily off-the-shelf will also be a matter of its fastener footprint.

The coaming will be a footprint issue too, but could also be an angle consideration, however, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Again a fill & drill where the two brands differ in placement design.

So..., as far as fit goes, you are in a better position than anyone to get out the tape measure and make the determination.

On the Sunfish hull you are refitting you will want to check that the backing blocks for the deck hardware are still in position (exception - no blocks under the coaming). If there isn't a wood block detectable you'll want to get into the hull and re-attach one. The deck alone is not thick enough to hold a load.

Don't know about the daggerboard fit. The rudder will need to have all its mounting hardware brought over.

Hi,

I have two hulls, one of which I would like to restore and the other I got free that I wanted to use for parts.

The original hull seems to be in good shape but is missing all its hardware (the previous owner wanted to repaint it and took off all the hardware but the hardware was lost).

The second hull looks almost identical to the first but there is a metal collar at the top of the mast tube. I thought that someone had added this but then I realized it was a Viking clone after reading another post.

Thanks for your help,

Dan

Hey Dan, If you still have that metal collar for the Viking hull, I will buy it from you. I am trying to restore mine and I don't have that part. I live in Millis MA so not to far
Thanks

Mark

Back