Video: 17 Mile Out And Return

andyatos

The forecast was for it to be really strong. Everywhere. So, we went to where we figured would be the most topographically sheltered in our area. And where the wind tends to come up later. That's the Cuttings Wharf boat ramp on the Napa River. We also got there quite early.

Headed down the river, upwind as soon as the wind arrived. By the time we got to where the river opens out into the vast marshes, the wind had picked up nicely. So we basically had an 8.5 mile long upwind beat. Our upwind goal was the Vallejo Bridge.

We then turned around an did a long run with broad reaching sections. We could have done a lot more broad reaching on the return trip but the tide was ripping out... so we had to hug the western shore to get relief from the current. Then the final run back up the river to the ramp.

This was my protege's (Greg) first time in the Laser where he had extended periods of time with steady, powered up conditions and long tacks where he could get used to hiking with a lot of his body weight. He's doing well... considering how he's not been sailing that long.

Here's the video.

- Andy

Nice job Andy. The trip planning and video edit, too. Got some sporty planing in at about 10 minutes.

Nice job Andy. The trip planning and video edit, too. Got some sporty planing in at about 10 minutes.
Yes, that's the Napa River area I was telling you about. Had we not turned around at the Vallejo bridge and kept going we would have passed under the Mare Island bridge, turned left towards the Delta at Carquinez Strait and ended up at the Southhampton Bay area and the boat ramp near Greg's house in Benicia.

We are planning on doing that one way trip some time and, in particular, the other way around. Ie, from that boat ramp near Greg's house in Benicia to Cutting's Wharf. I measure that trip as 17 miles one way, 34 miles round trip.

I'll let you know when we are going to Benicia or Cuttings Wharf again.

- Andy

Back