Vang Help!!

JuanCH

I replaced the ropes of my vang and now I have difficulty on knowing the max off position. Can anyone help me? I ve read somewhere that when fully eased the boom should be a little higher than horizontal position. Thanks a lot!

its eas what you gotta do is rig ur boat! give the kicker/vang a whack on till it is as tight as u think! mark with a pen then take off tie above mark so you have a little more to go if you have to go more max on! then slack off than that id your off position easy!

its eas what you gotta do is rig ur boat! give the kicker/vang a whack on till it is as tight as u think! mark with a pen then take off tie above mark so you have a little more to go if you have to go more max on! then slack off than that id your off position easy!

sailingmania, thanks for your post but I don't quite get it. When I say max off position I mean the vang being totally eased ( like on runs) Thanks!

WTF? Is that english? What planet are you from? I truly am sorry but you **** me hey.

sailingmania, thanks for your post but I don't quite get it. When I say max off position I mean the vang being totally eased ( like on runs) Thanks!

I don't get it either, but that's because I speak English and cannot read/understand the language. Maybe he should get a friend who peaks English to help. I appreciate this is an international forum but it can get hard work understanding the different languages.

Ian

Sailingmania, your post was a bit hard to understand. It wasn't just the abbreviations, but the syntax as well. Appreciate the attempt to be helpful, though.

Deimos, I don't have any friends who peak English! Sometimes English piques them. ;)

I think sailing mania has typed a reply in 'txt spk' (or as we say in proper english text speak.

Anyway enough of that, to get back to the OP question.

Vang max off setting.

What I do on my boat is I rig it. Hook the vang up and set the boom so that it is at 90 degrees to the mast. This is what I have as the max off setting. Once you are happy with this place a mark on the rope where it exits the vang aseembly. Then pull some vang on and tie a stop knot next to the mark so that when you blow the vang it will never go off any further than this setting. It is worth checking the setting regularly as ropes will stretch so the know may need to be moved.

I see a lot of people (even experienced guys) capsize on a bear away because they have blown the vang and it has gone off too far and they end up capsizing to windward.

One of the top guys at my club had another issue recently because he does not tie the tail of his vang off to the daggerboard handle. What happned was he managed to get it through his mainsheet block several times and could not untangle it. This meant (afetr having a good fight with him all race) he dropped back towards the end as the wind went light and he could not ease it.

I red the Mark Jacobi's article (Dr. Laser site) and it says that to get the 6 " closer to the deck you'll have to push down on the boom "a little" but I found that in my case in order to get that position I have to push more than "a little" and found that it is too much vang so I came back to what I was using before that is about horizontal, in that position when I insert the key I have too fight a little (I don't have main cleats). I am wondering it the ideal position base on the boom at rest is depending on each boat. I also use a stopper knot but It's more or less necessary if you have a stopper ball adjusted to get the maximum spam on your vang.

The more I read the more I'm confused, it's hard to believe that there is so much difference for something like maximum off position, you must admit that 6" down and "right above horizontal" is not the same position at all (at least on my boat). Personally I adopted the horizontal position setting, that way I only have to push down a little on the boom to insert the key.

The big question for me is why is it so different from one author to the other ? one design means same mast, same boom, same off position !? Is this too philosophical ?

You should have to put a little downward force on your boom to get your vang on when it is fully loosened.

You then have your general "max off" setting.

I hope I made that sound as simple as it really is.

what i do is and this works for radial and full rig but remember that radials have a tighter leach built into the sail. rig up your boat and push down on the boom so its 90 degrees to the mast. tie the boomvang so that is the max off. make sure you tie it off so that you have the most amount of play in the line and can only pull it on from that place.

Back