Value of Bailer

Stache

Seems to me that a lot of folks with "heavy hulls" that were sitting on dry land may have had water leak in around the bailer (especially if it was sitting on a trailer). Also some of my reading here and elsewhere covers water coming into the cockpit through the bailer. Not knowing or having a cap for the bailer I cautiously plugged mine with a wine bottle cork. Admittedly I haven't sailed my Sunfish that hard yet, but I haven't shipped hardly any water into the cockpit over the gunwales. So the question is, If you know you aren't going to be entering any "Class Racing" events, how stupid would removing the bailer and glassing over the bailing port be??

Attachments

• IMG_1888.JPG
    IMG_1888.JPG
    482.7 KB · Views: 48
It would be inconvenient when rinsing your boat, never mind sailing and having a wave come over the coaming. When you remove the old bailer you'll be able to inspect and correct problems, if any, between the tub and hull. Then put in a new bailer, complete with cap. Glassing it over would be more work than that. Also many vendors have sales in the autumn, so it will be a good time to convert over to a new plastic bailer. Keep the cork for a few more weeks.

If you sail in anything other than light and variable winds, you should have a working bailer. It is both convenient and a bit of a safety issue. At 7 lbs. per gallon, a cockpit full of water weighs a lot and can make a boat very sluggish.

"...So the question is, If you know you aren't going to be entering any "Class Racing" events, how stupid would removing the bailer and glassing over the bailing port be...??
Keep the cork in, so you can remove it when on land, and rain/condensation can be drained out. If you have a metal bailer, I'd pay to restore it, rather than risk breaking a new plastic bailer. A replacement Sunfish plastic bailer will run you about $45.

Ayuh, what I use.
Except mine is from a gallon jug of Rain-X windshield washer fluid.
Been three summers now and the wine cork is still holding fine.
Except for two tip overs, I haven't shipped enough spray or water over the side to need to bail too much or too often.
This summer I added a scrubbing sponge because I painted the boat this spring and want to keep the deck free of any stains from litter that collects on the deck when I am not using the boat. Next season a full cover not just one that covers the cockpit and mast mount.

Back