Using a compass

roland

I met a young sailor last week who said "I have been sailing for 6 years nad don't need a compass". My question is do you think that compasses are useful and how do you use yours. And if anyone can use some examples from the Midwinters in Ft. Myers we might be able to create a learning experience for this sailor.

As you might be able to tell, I am pro using a compass.

I don't use a compass, I never have. But sailing on a bay, there are a lot of land marks to make your references on to see if you are lifted or knocked. Also on the bay where I sail, the shifts are usually pretty big, so you can feel them when they happen. I don't think a compass would be too useful to me, at least at first. I would be spending too much time trying to read it, and not paying enough attention to the sail, or whats going on around me. I've tried to steer by compass on a bigger boat, and couldn't do it, so i don't want to try to mess with that when I'm racing.

I met a young sailor last week who said "I have been sailing for 6 years nad don't need a compass". My question is do you think that compasses are useful and how do you use yours. And if anyone can use some examples from the Midwinters in Ft. Myers we might be able to create a learning experience for this sailor.

As you might be able to tell, I am pro using a compass.

As pointed out by sailororf2, compasses can be distracting. Yet, most top Sunfishers use one to figure out starting strategies. And when you are out racing on a big body of water without nearby landmarks, a compass will tell you about headers and lifts. I have been in a more than a few races where I wished I had one on my boat.

Back