Used sunfish - replacement priorities?

Halfjack

Dad & Lad
I'm planning to try and buy 1 or 2 used Sunfish this November. I plan to install inpection ports, if lacking, and try to make sure they're dried out and in working order. I will probably also paint (it/them).

Besides the above, and assuming no actual damage to the boat(s), what's going to be the biggest bang for my buck or most essential improvements? I mean upgrades, maintenance, or add-ons.

Also, is it best/required to get most parts from Laser Performance, or is there other suppliers which anyone recommends (besides individuals, ebay, etc.).

All comments appreciated!:)

Depends what your plans are: recreation or racing?
If you are going to race, the racing sail and the bigger (foam) daggerboard are the most important upgrades.

Whereas Laser Performance has an on-line store, you can also buy from a dealer, if there is one near you, or from other on-line sources such as APS.

Depends what your plans are: recreation or racing?

Well, I want to go as fast as possible, and control the boat as well as possible - but I really don't know how much racing I'll be doing... If recreation means slow, than let's pretend I'll be racing!
:D

Ok, so I've got:

1) Inspection ports and dry boat - no leaks, fresh paint
2) racing sails
3) racing dagger board

Any other hints?

I think your on the right track, its hard to tell you what improvements your boat needs when you havent bought it yet. PFDs are a must!!!!

As far as Parts go, Ive had good luck with Torreson Marine http://www.sunfishdirect.com/ a bit pricey, but so is anything "marine".

Check your lines. Are they worn or cheap stuff? (Home Depot line is not suitable) They should be the right lengths, diameter and types. Search this site for details.

Bill

Also, painting, while making the boat look better, generally does not help with speed, and the weight can make your speed worse. I'd try wet-sanding the hulls and get to a 600 grit at least. Also, the paint can scratch leaving the bottom rougher than it would have been.

I'd also buy the new daggerboard before the racing sail if you have to prioritize.
BB

Back