Used Sunfish Hard to Find

james1111

I am surprised by how difficult it is to find a nice used sunfish in my area of Northern Virginia. You would think with all of the boats out there they would be easier to find. I just don't have the $4,000 for a new one at this time. Maybe if I wait until spring the hunting will be better? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

James1111

Now is the time to look, people don't want to store them, prices go up in spring. Get out and beat the bushes, keep an eye out for one in somebodies yard (that's how I found mine) or trailer storage lot and make an offer. Post a wanted ad in the paper, this forum (you have), Yahoo Sunfish Sailor, on bulletin boards in supermarkets and other stores, you local boat shop(s), check ebay, craigs list and any other places you can think off. You may have to drive a little to check one out or to bring it home, but so what. Good Luck

I found my Sunfish by placing and add in the local area newspaper. I think it cost me like 10 dollars and I had 4 calls and found what I was looking for. Two of the hulls were in bad shape. I ended up getting a 1973 hull and all the parts that had only been sailed one summer for $ 500 dollars. The owner bought it for his son 30 years ago. His son went off to college and it sat in the garage covered up for all that time. I live on a small inland lake on the Ohio/PA line I would think you would have more opportunities based on your location. You never know what people have stashed away.

They are so easy to store that people keep them "in case I want to go sailing". Got mine for free from a friend that has stored it upside down for 15 years next to a pond across the street. No reason to part with it. Keep looking, they show up. Good luck.

James,
I'm in the same area as you your 100% on the lack of good quality used boats around here. CL is good for the $200 ones that pop up for spare parts other than that driving for one is the only real option.

As a side note on the issue, quite a few years ago NY state wanted to increase the boat lauch facilities at three state campgrounds and needed a "survey" of boating traffic, usage, and a count of all types of boats to determine what they'd do to the launches.
We did a two day survey around the shoreline of the lake counting boats in the water and any we could see from the water on shore.
We had a variety class races every Saturday and Sunday and got usually 15-20 boats; 3-4 being Sunfish.
During the survey we counted 112 Sunfish mostly I hate to say propped up against trees, next to garages, etc. There were, counting my two, 21 that could be considered to be close enough to the water to be sailed at some time during the summer.
We drove around on a later weekend to look at some of the "lawn queens" we saw and most were of the the "we keep it around in case the kids/grandkids want to play with it".
They redid the launches but simply added floating docks to facilitate launching retreival. Their orginial intention was to rework the launches and approach ramps for boats in the 30-40 foot range.

I really don't understand why the free market doesn't cause the price of a solid used Sunfish to rise when they are so difficult to find. I bought my used SF about 4 years ago. It was light but needed some work and a sail upgrade, but it worked adequately. I looked for over 6 months to find it and had to travel 50+ miles to buy it. I was pleased that it really wasn't too expensive given how hard it is to find one here in the midwest (Minnesota). Don't understand why they don't go up in price.

baldo1954 said:
I really don't understand why the free market doesn't cause the price of a solid used Sunfish to rise when they are so difficult to find. I bought my used SF about 4 years ago. It was light but needed some work and a sail upgrade, but it worked adequately. I looked for over 6 months to find it and had to travel 50+ miles to buy it. I was pleased that it really wasn't too expensive given how hard it is to find one here in the midwest (Minnesota). Don't understand why they don't go up in price.

Yes, I agree. It is truly supply and demand, and you'd be surprised at how difficult it can be to find a good buyer when you just want to get rid of a boat. I gave away a great Laser and trailer to a charity rather than go through all of the hassle of trying to find a buyer. I suppose that is why the purchase price of any used boat can be so surprisingly low.

Anytime is a good time to find one. You just need to be in the right place at the right time. While this site may be helpful, chances are the person with a good one out in his backyard, for the past 15 years, doesn't know about this site. GOOD LUCK!

Just picked one up in Philly off Craigslist for $300. Had been bashed in the transom, shoving the rudder gudgeon into the hull. One inspection port and some glas and gelcoat and its back in business. Hull is relatively light with some water. I'm going to try to dry it some, but its not really bad as is. Two hour drive one-way to get it. I live on the Chesapeake across from Annapolis and couldn't find any local. I do see alot sitting in yards covered with leaves and dirt. It probably wouldn't hurt to knock on doors and ask. Quick cash for an unused boat might make for a sale at this time of year.

Back