US Nationals vs. Buzzards Bay Regatta

Ray Wulff

So in prep for the Masters Worlds in Aug-Sept, I was all pumped to go to the US Nationals until I did some hunting for accompodations. The location of the event is on the Jersey Shore in the summer high season. What does that mean? I couldn't find a hotel room for less than $290 a night in proximity to the YC, with many in the $350+

As I have never been to the Buzzards Bay regatta (Same weekend), would it be nuts to skip the Nationals to save $400-$500 bucks.

More importantly, does anyone have any suggestions for suitable accom. near the NJ event? (No places for camping nearby either)

Thanks.,

The one in North Carolina. You betcha. (Insert Sara Palin wink here)

The Extended Stay America in Wilmington has the best rates (Of course after adding the coupon from www.couponcraze.com it was even cheaper.

So in prep for the Masters Worlds in Aug-Sept, I was all pumped to go to the US Nationals until I did some hunting for accompodations. The location of the event is on the Jersey Shore in the summer high season. What does that mean? I couldn't find a hotel room for less than $290 a night in proximity to the YC, with many in the $350+

As I have never been to the Buzzards Bay regatta (Same weekend), would it be nuts to skip the Nationals to save $400-$500 bucks.

More importantly, does anyone have any suggestions for suitable accom. near the NJ event? (No places for camping nearby either)

Thanks.,

I can say there is no camping on LBI, but there is one or two grounds about a half hour away. There are plenty of motels/hotels all over the place on the island. There is also a Holiday Inn on route 72 3-4 miles off the island. Since it is the summer, one would expect places to book up quickly, but given the economy, you never know. If those options are too much I know people could also go north or south on the Parkway to say Toms River and get a room up there.

Another suggestion is to meet some of the masters who are in the area and try to get some housing from them.

This is an easy choice...

Go to a regatta where you'll be treated like a second-class citizen for sailing a Laser, or go to a regatta focused exclusively on Lasers by a club that is absolutely one of THE BEST at hosting a dinghy regatta?

The decision makes itself.

Call the contact for the US Champs. They might know someone with a couch you can surf. And there aren't that many cheap hotels on "the cape" during that time of year, either.

FYI, the Buzzards Bay Regatta is not on Cape Cod. This year it is being hosted by New Bedford Yacht Club which is along the south shore in Dartmouth, MA. Though, Dartmouth might be just as bad for finding a cheap hotel room during the summer as the cape. Either way it is a great event.

Just so people know what #'s we are talking about. For the NJ event you are looking at $180 per night where the Buzzards Bay event I have found as low as $65. Granted it was a flea bag hotel in Mass, but the $180 per night in NJ was without taxes. The cheap ones ($150) in NJ were over 50 minutes away according to Google maps.

So looking at nearly $550 for hotels for an event that's conditions will be nothing like NS is kind of a hard sell. (Not a dig on the club at all mind you, just my own thought process.)

Just so people know what #'s we are talking about. For the NJ event you are looking at $180 per night where the Buzzards Bay event I have found as low as $65. Granted it was a flea bag hotel in Mass, but the $180 per night in NJ was without taxes. The cheap ones ($150) in NJ were over 50 minutes away according to Google maps.

So looking at nearly $550 for hotels for an event that's conditions will be nothing like NS is kind of a hard sell. (Not a dig on the club at all mind you, just my own thought process.)

BBYC can't bring waves like at BBR, but we can bring breeze. If the seabreeze kicks in you will have 15+mph solid out of a single direction.

The other question is what kind of competition you want. I would hope most people come down to Nationals because there will be better competition (and grand prix points). Condition wise you might not get exactly what you want, but competition wise you will get exactly what you want. Regatta wise, we have tons of friendly volunteers who want to make your stay the best as possible, the meals are awesome (full breakfasts in the morning, fruit, water and bars out on the water, and good dinners (and for the people of age beer)).

Why not talk to some other Annapolis people and see if people want to share the costs of rooms? I would think a few from the area would make the trip up. I'm also positive you will meet some people from the LBI area down at Master's NAs, get to know them and I'm sure you can get some help with housing (or email the event orgainizer and he might be able to help.)

I'm going to Buzzards Bay... mainly cause I can drive there and back in one night.

Little adivice... I worked in New Bedford as a paramedic for a bit... I would suggest avoiding the hotels and motels where they give you the option to pay by the hour :D:eek::D

where in NJ Ray. I can see if you can stay at my fathers house. I might go down also. Or buzzards bay I will stay at my house and drive in. Accomodations offered for either. The least I can do for an old URI Alum.

correction....brant Beach??? I will see If I have any friends living on LBI. It is a slow ride down the island 25 mph and 500 traffic lights.

There are a bunch of motels on LBI that probably don't show up in Expedia, but I am not sure how you would find their names . However, there is a nice looking place just a couple miles off the island - the Barnegat Motel. It gets good reviews in tripadvisor, and looks like it is a nice place - I drive by it fairly often. It looks like the rates are around $100 or less even in the summer. I cannot find a website for them, but here is their info - likely worth a phone call. Barnegat Motel, 115 S Main St Barnegat, NJ 08005 (609) 698-3531.

Being an old geezer on a fixed income, this looks like my kind of place!

I sailed in the laser atlantic coasts last year at brant beach and it was a great event - well run racing, friendly club...just hanging around the club after the racing having a beer with the locals was fun. i think if you want to do well at the masters worlds getting some practice against high end non-masters is, I think, essential - just the starting practice along will be worth it as I suspect that starting at the masters worlds will be a step more difficult than the US masters events purely due to the larger number of fast sailors. I'm planning to go to halifax a few days early (and I suspect others will too) so you can get used to the conditions for real in september if you do the same.

Ray and Beaker are URI Alumni???? Me too!!!! Freakin small world from the biggest little state in the union!!

Back