upwind

sailingsweetie

Hey I've only just started racing a Laser radial (i've done half a season in a 420) So far I'm at the back of the pack/front of the stragglers. I fly when I'm off the breeze and catch up a fair bit, but whenever we're back to beating upwind I fall behind. I dont feel like I'm pointing as high as the others or going as fast. Anyone got any suggestions on sail trim/cunno/vang/outhaul etc?

Originally posted by sailingsweetie
Hey I've only just started racing a Laser radial (i've done half a season in a 420) So far I'm at the back of the pack/front of the stragglers. I fly when I'm off the breeze and catch up a fair bit, but whenever we're back to beating upwind I fall behind. I dont feel like I'm pointing as high as the others or going as fast. Anyone got any suggestions on sail trim/cunno/vang/outhaul etc?
u should keep ur vang fully tight.also pull the cunningham down tight till the grommet is at boom level.hike hard and straihgt legged.really important.pevents the boat from heeling in a gust.
hike hard..........really hard thts all.

Welcome !!....

I find that it really depends on the wind conditions and the general weight of the sailor. Heavier sailors tend to do better upwind in the heavy stuff only due to the mere fact that thier shear weight can flatten the boat and allow them to double block the main much easier hence more consentration on driving the boat and pinching as high as possible without wasted consentration on dumping sail and staying afloat. Lighter sailors tend to bare off in the heavy which makes them faster but not as high to the mark meaning they ultimatly loose ground.

Keeping the boat flat is huge... if you dont have tell tales I recommend getting them and make sure they are placed properly this will help you with proper trim. Make sure you drive into the waves properly weight distribution while crashing into surf can make the difference between crashing and stopping the boat and gliding over swell and maintaining decent speed.

Dont be scared to approach the club pro and ask him or her what they do upwind.....and last but not least keep working on that offwind speed if your fast and you know it that is your most powerfull asset....you can be in last place and round the upwind mark in first I've seen it happen .... then all you have to do is cover.

Good luck...hope this helped.

Ken

Back