Upper mast/Boom tubing

Russell

I'm sure I've seen the answer to this on here somewhere but I've searched and can't find it.

I've just broken my boom and I think that I might be able to find a broken upper mast. Is the tube the same spec - ie can I make a new boom out of a broken upper mast.

Thanks

Russell

I believe they are the same diameter alloy. Making a new boom from a busted top section is very common. The only thing I would be unsure of is booms now have a sleeve where the vang connects. I don't know how well you could retrofit this.

BTW if anyone in NC needs a broken top seciton to make into a boom, I have just what you need.

Yes, it's the same section. You can either buy the sleeve, or if the top section is broken at the rivet, you should have enough left over to make your own sleeve (you will need to slit/cut the section you plan to use for the sleeve)

Thanks for those - I've now had a good look for the broken upper mast (in the long grass bits of the boat park) and it's gone - but I've been offered a broken Byte upper section.

I know the Byte was also designed by Bruce Kirby and uses the same foils and boom, does anyone know if the upper section is the same?

I'm intrigued by 49208's suggestion of making your own sleeve because it seems sleeves are not sold separately in the UK - can you give me any more info on this?

Russell

Hi All

I've got my broken top section - eventually had a choice of black or silver and it's all drilled and most of the fittings on.

All that remains is the reinforcing sleeve. I can't buy one in the UK - I've experimented with 49208's suggestion of using another piece of the same tube - it needs a 12mm slot to be able to do it but I've experimented with another bit of old boom and I seriously doubt that I can get it into the boom - it just springs out too tightly against the inner surface of the boom.

So - does anyone have the spec for the sleeve - I know 900mm long - another thread quotes 45mm outside diameter - does anyone know wall thickness or alloy type or can confirm OD.

Thanks

Russell

Last one I did I remember I had to squeeze the slotted piece in a vice to reduce the dia. It's not critical how much, if you can wait a day, I've got another section to turn into a boom and I can snap a pic of two and post -

Thanks

I decided to do that - it would have been an advantage to make a slightly bigger slot as the edges foul when you squeeze it - but it's done now. I'm going out to try it in about half an hour.

Russell

The reinforcing tube has a considerably thinner wall thickness, maybe half as thick, and is about 1/4" smaller diameter. You could buy a piece of marine alloy fitting those specs and use that. It would of course not be class legal, but who would be able to check? And if the UK laser outlets don't sell it, no one will care.

Back