Up-haul for racing sail

tynwald

I'm changing out my recreational sail for a new racing one, and have a question about the best way of securing the up-haul. The line kit that I got has a 20" 2 mm Spectra for this and the way I've set the luff tension brings the top of the head to about 4" of the end of the gaff (measured from where the metal and cap meet). It seems like I should get 2 wraps around this as there's a fair amount of tension, but there doesn't seem to be enough line. Maybe just a single line with a bowline at the head and a couple of half-hitches at the end cap and leave it that? Or maybe I have the luff tension too loose.

A general rule of thumb is to be able to "pinch an inch" of the luff to have it pulll tight.

I'd use a longer line so that you can get some purchase

Eric

The beauty of line like spectra is you do not need multie wraps to avoid stretching. The stuff is very non stretch and once around is plenty. Also the uphaul really does not come under that much force anyway. Try it with the 20" spectra - you will like it.

What I mean is that if you tie the luff as tight as you can you will be unable to pinch anything. If you tie it really lose you will be able to pinch a bunch of the luff in your hand. If you are able to pinch about an inch of the luff, you're in the ballpark of what you want.

What I mean is that if you tie the luff as tight as you can you will be unable to pinch anything. If you tie it really lose you will be able to pinch a bunch of the luff in your hand. If you are able to pinch about an inch of the luff, you're in the ballpark of what you want.
Got it, thanks.:)

Back