uncoordinated tacks/jibes, and I hate tiller extensions!

newtosail

Fortunately, my first experience on a laser (yesterday) was in 7-8 knot winds. If it had been any breezier, I know I would have gone in the drink multiple times because I couldn't seem to coordinate what to do with the tiller extension (never used one before, and it kept getting in my way) and the sheet when it came time to switch sides. I'm sure I'll get used to it with more hands on practice, but is there anything I can do between lessons for practice? Other than those totally uncoordinated moments, however, I loved it!

Holler if this forum is not really intended to include total beginners. You've all been an enormous help so far. I wish I had started sailing decades ago.

... I couldn't seem to coordinate what to do with the tiller extension (never used one before, and it kept getting in my way) and the sheet when it came time to switch sides. I'm sure I'll get used to it with more hands on practice, but is there anything I can do between lessons for practice? Other than those totally uncoordinated moments, however, I loved it!
I don't know of any magic formula other than practice. After enough years in dinghies that I should have it down, I still occasionally screw up.

The "Boat Handling" section of drLaser has some good articles:
http://www.drlaser.org/frm/plfBHCf.html
Steve Cockerill has an excellent article, "Tacking - The Principles" where he has some nice step-by-step instructions and videos; look at how he changes hands:
http://www.roostersailing.com/articles/TACKING WEB PAGE.HTML

Any of the general laser books would probably also be a good place to go:
The Complete Book of Laser Sailing
Championship Laser Racing
Laser Campaign Manual Masterclass
Laser Racing

On suggestion I have is to practice sailing with your hands switched (i.e. tack and sail for a few moments without changing hands). This should help you gain some confidence that you don't need to panic and drop the tiller (or sheet) when you're tacking/gybing in some tight situation.

FWIW, I usually change hands pretty quickly after a tack, but sometimes I'll sail for some time before changing hands after a gybe. Conversely, sometimes I'll change hands before I gybe (ex. if I know I'll need to head-up or somthing similar right after the gybe).

Holler if this forum is not really intended to include total beginners. You've all been an enormous help so far. I wish I had started sailing decades ago.
This is the place! Ask away!
I started sailing in my mid-twenties, and I wish I'd started 15 years earlier!

Cheers,

Geoff S.
DN US-5156/Laser 145234/Renegade 510
http://sobering.terracom.net/iceboating/index.html

After only 6 outings in my laser I am struggling with the tiller extension as well. It feels a lot more comfortable keeping it down to the side of the body rather than across the front.

I am fairly tall 6'4" and the tiller seems to be too long, have thought about shortening it a bit.

With the tiller Ext in front/across the body it feels awkward, as if there is less control

Hoping practise will make it easier

in really light winds (up until soft hiking) i hold the tiller at my side because it is awkward and also having it there minimises unnecessary tiller movement.

anything windier than that i have the tiller across me because i always keep my upper body on a lean so the 'frying pan' grip just doesnt work (wrists arent that flexible)

I think half the problem is because I am heavy 6'4" and 102kg, I don't have to hike out too far so never need to use the end of the tiller extension, i always seem to be holding it half way along

John,

Laser tiller extensions are long and can get in the way a lot! Make sure you are sitting far enough forward in the boat that you can hold the tiller extension like a microphone and have your thumb over the end cap. It may seem silly, but you really have to sit that far forward in those light wind conditions.

Sitting this far will make the extension get in the way a lot less. When you go to tack, push the extension all the way away from you until the end cap (and your thumb) are now well on the other side of the cockpit. (When this happens you will surely be on the new tack.) The get up and jump to the new side of the cockpit. You will realize that your windward hand is now holding the tiller and your leward hand is holding the mainsheet. For example, if you tach FROM starboard TO port, your left hand will be holding the tiller and your right hand will be holding the mainsheet. In this case, slide your right hand, with the sheet, down until you can grab the tiller. At this time, the tiller extension and the sheet will both be in control of your right hand. Then take your free left hand and grab the sheet. Now you are all set on your new tack.

My advice, go home and sit in your derigged boat with just your rudder and tiller atached and your mainsheet through the mainsheet block and tied to your bow eye. Then practice where to sit and practice changing tacks and figure out a good routine to do with your hands.

SteveV said:
I think half the problem is because I am heavy 6'4" and 102kg, I don't have to hike out too far so never need to use the end of the tiller extension, i always seem to be holding it half way along

You guys are referring to "holding the frying pan" method of holding the tiller extension. Back in "the day" when Lasers came with short tiller extensions this used to be the form used. However, now the suggested length is 48" so you can hold the tiller extension right up on your chest. Having your hand in this area allows for several things. 1) you can hold both the main sheet and tiller w/one hand. This allows you to make sail adjustments while sailing and free up a hand for what ever you need. 2) with your driving hand right under your chin you always know where it is. This is better for boat control. 3) you can sit further forward in you boat. You'll learn that in medium breeze, flat water you will want to lean forward. This will help the boat point. Also, you can use fore and aft movements of your torso to make fine steering adjustments for heading up or falling off w/out moving the tiller. 4) in really light breeze you'll need to sit around the centerboard area. You have to have the long tiller extension to do this. 5) and lastly, when you pass someone you can thumb you nose at them when steering this way!

i know this is going back a bit to anyway:

Rob said above that the suggested length of a tiller extension is 48"

i have the "fatso tiller extension" by laser that is 50" long,6th item down

how long do u guys have ur extensions?

If you are new to the Laser AND new to sailing I would recommend not sailing the boat in any more breeze than 10 mph until you get more comfortable. I would not catogorize the Laser as a good beginner boat because it is tricky to sail.

As for the tiller extension you need to get comfortable holding it across you chest. The "frying pan" method is not the way to go. As for lenghts of the extension I've heard of everything from 48" up to 53". I'm 6'2" and use a 48" extension. I think shorter guys, (shorter arms) use the 53" so they can get as far forward and hike out as far as they need to.

i hate it when i go through older threads ad go to click on a drlaser link and i get 404'd :( i really want him to get his site back up

SteveV said:

I have similar problems, I'm 6'3" and 97kg, I get sore ankles from crouching in the boat in light winds when everyone else is sitting comfortably on the deck sides. I would echo the others who say that if you're finding the extension too long you're probably sitting too far back in the boat. I use a standard UK XD extension - 48" I think, and find it sits very comfortably across my chest when I sit on the mainsheet cleats (which I have never used and wish they weren't there!).

i didn't put the main sheet cleats on my boat, i find i don't need them and sitting on them for a while becomes a pain in the arse,

Do yourself a favor and remove the cleats. Just fill the holes w/MarineTex and you'll be good to go w/a happier butt.

peterbye said:
I have similar problems, I'm 6'3" and 97kg, I get sore ankles from crouching in the boat in light winds when everyone else is sitting comfortably on the deck sides. I would echo the others who say that if you're finding the extension too long you're probably sitting too far back in the boat. I use a standard UK XD extension - 48" I think, and find it sits very comfortably across my chest when I sit on the mainsheet cleats (which I have never used and wish they weren't there!).

I have problems with pulling in the mainsheet sometimes. I'm simply not strong enough to pull it in with one hand and therefore it gets all tangled etc which is really annoying.

Michael Blackburn has gone back to the frying pan grip in light winds, and the Australian youth/olympic squad followed (or some of them did). Mike puts his forward hand on the deck in front of him (mainsheet in hand) and the back hand on the deck behind, with the tiller in a frying pan grip.

He said that it helped him keep steady in bouncy waves, stopped him using too much tiller, and allowed him to use his weight through his arms to bounce the boat through chop.

Back