Uh Oh- Drain plug stuck and spinning right down to "thing" underneath...

Out.n.About

Ok, so today was the day. Cleaned off the boat since it was under the tree... Lots of water, went to drain it... The plug was stuck.

One thing led to another...

An hour or so later, it finally came loose.

Uh Oh...

The whole unit is spinning right down to the undercarriage of the boat.

Now what?

If we take it out will it leak to the point of sinking?

Should we just seal the whole thing and forget about ever having a drain plug?

I don't want to miss the whole season - we live in NY, the season is quite short...

Thanks!!

Is the "drain-plug" plastic or metal?

...in the bottom of the cockpit, in the transom, or near the top edge at mid-deck?

Is this boat a Sunfish? :oops:

Assuming it's the Sunfish cockpit drain, I removed mine, and sailed one full season with a patch made of Duct Tape!
:)

Just be sure not to step on the tape. Sailing can be difficult!
:eek:

The drain plug is metal in the bottom of the cockpit. It's a Sunfish. I do have duct tape! I was hoping to loosen it, got very afraid then the whole device started turning....

Is there a way to fix it?

I have no experience with the metal bailer; however, I'd expect the metal bailer can be removed and replaced with a new bailer made of plastic. ($42.)

Douse the metal threads with Kroil®, P-Blaster®, WD-40®, or CRC 666®, then rotate top and bottom parts to loosen and remove. Check that the inside and outside of that cockpit and bottom remain bonded together; otherwise, check this thread:
http://sailingforums.com/threads/bailer-opening.30935/#post-141918

I have Phantom bailers for $10 each. Includes shipping. Just need to fill in hole and drill smaller 3/4" dia hole. Then put parts together with three screws. cjo1023 at yahoo dot com.

Back