U.S. Sailing Singlehanded Nationals

hydroslyder

Hey Everybody. I am sailing in U.S. Sailings Smythe regatta which is Junior singlehanded nationals, in newport beach california.

I was wondering what sort of foul weather gear I should bring, and how cold is the water.

Also anybody from this area what are the usual conditions, and do you know if we will be racing in newport harbor, or in the Pacific?

Also any general tips for this regatta, or setting up a charter boat etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Chris

Also does anybody know of any good hotels in the area.
Please reply quickly as I leave this coming sunday.

Thanks alot
Chris

hydroslyder said:
Also does anybody know of any good hotels in the area.
Please reply quickly as I leave this coming sunday.

Thanks alot
Chris

You should be able to stay with a host family for free. That is really the way to go. I stayed with one when I went to the bemis finals in '99 and it was a pretty sweet setup. I am going to the oday finals in long beach in two weeks and am going to do the same thing.

Host club should be able to supply a list of hotels in the area...
Ditto with the weather and where you are sailing. Air is warm, water is moderate (if you are used to the Gulf bathwater, you'll prob think the water is cold)

You can also dig up wind/weather info history pretty easily online.

IIRC, Newport Beach conditions tend to be lighter then Long Beach, even though they aren't that far apart. IMHO, they do however have much better looking "sights" on the beach, but I'm sure that's not important at this point in your life ;-)

Good luck and look for a green flash at sunset.

Back