trying to replace hiking strap

Nora171010

Ive been trying to replace my hiking strap for a while, and nothing seems to be working... the screw's are completely stripped and it looks like the previous owner of the boat used 5200 (maybe 4200) around the screws any ideas? I don't want to have to get a new hiking strap plate either

that sucks that happened to a boat as new as yours. I think I would mix up some west system with high density filler and inject that into the screw holes, let that set then try redrilling. Maybe use 5200 to bed the screws in for a little insurance. I'm certainly not an authority on this. Gouvernail is the man to ask. You should PM him.

I think a little more information is needed here. Do you have an inspection port next to the centerboard trunk? Are the screws parmanently affixed with the 5200? Pictures would help.

If the answer is "no" to both, then an inspection port is your best bet. There are many advantages to having one and you can find a lot of information pertaining to the upside/downside in the forum. The bottom line is that you want to throughbolt the hiking strap/mainsheet block padeye and not have to deal with this problem again.

Hope this helps.

Back