Trouble shooting help please

Hi everyone, I finally got my recently purchased laser in the water. After capsizing in relatively light wind I learned quickly that you really have to keep your wits about you in this boat. It was the first time capsizing and was pleased I was able to get the boat upright and continue on. I undid the little black cork like plug inside the boat hopeing to get rid of the water. It seemed like it let more water in rather than draining. Can someone tell me how it works or am I using it wrong? After getting home I could hear water sloshing around inside the hull. I unscrewed the stopper on the outside at the stern and quite a bit of water drained out. I see no cracks or places were water could be getting into the boat. Of note, I noticed on that round saucer like plate that unscrews so you can look inside the hull didn't have a o'ring or washer of any kind on it. Should it have a washer? Thinking perhaps the water got in there when I capsized. I had a great time but got hit in the head several times by the boom " coming about". That boom is so freakin low! It must be my technique I'm sure. Any suggesting to these problems appreciated. Thanks in advance. Mike.

Hi everyone, I finally got my recently purchased laser in the water. After capsizing in relatively light wind I learned quickly that you really have to keep your wits about you in this boat. It was the first time capsizing and was pleased I was able to get the boat upright and continue on. I undid the little black cork like plug inside the boat hopeing to get rid of the water. It seemed like it let more water in rather than draining. Can someone tell me how it works or am I using it wrong? After getting home I could hear water sloshing around inside the hull. I unscrewed the stopper on the outside at the stern and quite a bit of water drained out. I see no cracks or places were water could be getting into the boat. Of note, I noticed on that round saucer like plate that unscrews so you can look inside the hull didn't have a o'ring or washer of any kind on it. Should it have a washer? Thinking perhaps the water got in there when I capsized. I had a great time but got hit in the head several times by the boom " coming about". That boom is so freakin low! It must be my technique I'm sure. Any suggesting to these problems appreciated. Thanks in advance. Mike.

Mike,
You have to get up on plane or at least be going fairly fast for the water to drain out of the cockpit when you take the plug out of the bailer. The saucer like plate is an inspection port, and yes, you must have an o ring for it. See what brand and size it is and buy one from APS or your local Laser dealer.

Duck lower. :) If you've got a lot of vang on in a high breeze, you can let a little off before tacking to raise the boom.

You could check the mast step doesn't leak by filling it with water and seeing if it stays full. Almost impossible to see if it is leaking just by looking at it.
If it does leak, there are plenty of threads on here about repairing it.

Nicko

Back