Traveller pulley repeated breaking

Doug Bell

I have never heard of the small traveller pulley breaking. I have broken three in the past 4 days! Each occurred with a gybe in moderate winds.
Why? How to prevent?
1st original pulley on my 17725 boat.
2nd replacement grey pulley
3rd an older black pulley.
someone else here with a new boat broke one this morning.
My equip has not changed in 3 years as far as traveller concerned.
~ 3 to 4 mm silver Spectra traveller. usual good tension. the two blocks ( pulleys) taped together with elect tape.
No apparent reason.
Ideas? previous experience? maufacturing problem?
Thanks for help
Doug, Calgary YC

Can you tell us exactly what is breaking - ie the brummel hook, the sheeve, rivit, or block housing...

Do you have the two blocks taped so that there is no movement at the joint at all? If any movement is allowed then it is possible to break the brummel hook off. Other than that It may just be that you have had some bad luck. Try getting brand new blocks and see what happens.

bobbyh said:
Do you have the two blocks taped so that there is no movement at the joint at all? If any movement is allowed then it is possible to break the brummel hook off. Other than that It may just be that you have had some bad luck. Try getting brand new blocks and see what happens.

I had problems with the blocks jamming until I taped the blocks to the extent that there's just enough room for the traveller and mainsheet to pass through. They should be quite stiff. Since then no problems but I still want to try the shrink-wrap.

Doug Bell said:
I have never heard of the small traveller pulley breaking. I have broken three in the past 4 days! Each occurred with a gybe in moderate winds.
Why? How to prevent?
someone else here with a new boat broke one this morning.
My equip has not changed in 3 years as far as traveller concerned.
~ 3 to 4 mm silver Spectra traveller. usual good tension. the two blocks ( pulleys) taped together with elect tape.
No apparent reason.
Ideas? previous experience? maufacturing problem?
Thanks for help
Doug, Calgary YC
PS. the cheek of the pulley fractured at the axle of the pulley. The two blocks were securely taped together.
Thanks for any more info or ideas.
Doug

Doug Bell said:

My guess is #1 was just old and tired, #2 there's a reason they don't make the grey blocks and more and #3 was again old and tired. My a new set...

Back