Traveller Eye Change

laserchris

Hi all, I am pretty new to sailing and have just bought an old laser to get going in. I didnt notice when I looked at the boat before I bought it but one of the traveller eyes at the stern of the boat is cracked and if you pull on the traveller there is alot of flex so it will eventually go as I start to sail in higher winds. I'm wondering if you can just screw the old one out and screw the new one in or is there some sort of nut inside the hull that will drop off when I undo the old one??? Any help much appreciated!!!!

Also it seems that the previous owner has modified the kicker and outhaul so they look pretty bizzare and dont seem to operate very reliably (this might just be my inability though!!!) Just wondering if anyone could give me some advice/pics on how a standard, non XD laser kicker and outhaul should be rigged.
Cheers.:):confused:

The inboard screw goes thru the laminate into a plywood backer plate - as long as the plywood isn't rotted, the screw should grab and hold. The outboard screw goes thru the hull/deck joint and into a plastic screw cap aka plastic nut.

While you can replace the existing fairlead with another plastic one, you should consider changing it to the aluminum version, costs more, but won't crack.

For ideas on updating the original vang/outhaul/cunningham, try this:
http://web.archive.org/web/20030814014608/www.drlaser.org/frm/plfMACf.html pick "Designing Custom Control Systems" from the drop down list at the top

If the inboard screw doesn't want to hold, squeeze some epoxy or Marine Tex or something into the hole. Then when it's dry you can drill a pilot hole and put the screw back in.

Thanks for the info, I have changed the eye now and the inboard screw tightened nicely with no other interference, good news!!

Back