Training

Are we talking in the gym? On water (yes, I think)? Both?

I could probably help you with a gym program, if that's what you are, indeed, looking for.

I was looking towards both. I have acces to a bench and free weights at home. Also if anyone knows how to practice alone on the water?

Hmm. Does your bench have good plates (ie. metal, not plastic filled with sand)?

How heavy do your dumbbells go?

Do you have anything that you could use as a rack to do squats? If not, you may be able to clean and press the weight into position.

As for on the water: Work on hiking, boat handling, gybes, tacks.

Find two marks and tack/gybe between them. Keep increasing the tacks and gybes you have yourself do between the marks.

They are metal plates. I have 20lb and 10lb hand weights. I also have a barbell. There are multiple plates fro 2.5 to 25 lbs each. I could go probably 4 days a week.

They are metal plates. I have 20lb and 10lb hand weights. I also have a barbell. There are multiple plates fro 2.5 to 25 lbs each. I could go probably 4 days a week.

Ok. You should look into getting some 45 lb. plates. When doing deadlifts, you'll need the extra bar elevation, plus you'll probably need the weight. If the weight is too much when you first start out, you could use plywood cut-outs that mimic the size of a 45lb. plate.

10 and 20 lb. weights are a little light. Do you have a gym near by? What are your goals in the gym?

You should only lift 3x a week, you could do cardio on your off days.

Right now, my routine is this. My goals in the gym no longer have anything to do with sailing Lasers. I'm training for strength and strength only. Not size and looks, but strength, power and explosiveness.

Monday:

Deadlift: 5x5 (add weight each set)
Bent over rows (barbell, Pendlay style): 5x5 (add weight each set. AWES from now on)
Pull ups: 5x5-7 (if you can't even do one body weight pull up, start off with lat pull downs)

Wednesday:

Bench: 5x5 (AWES)
Over head press (strict or push): 5x5 (AWES)
Dips: 5 sets (add weight if you can do more than 10-15)

Friday:

Squats: 5x5 (AWES. Below parallel, not half or quater squats)
Romanian deadlifts or Good mornings: 3x8 (AWES)
Chin ups: 5 sets to failure (Add weight if you can do more than 10-15)

If you are interested in more endurance type lifting for your legs, you could probably do something like 3x15-20.

Again, this is a strength program.

Hey, don't take this as the be all, end all.

This is just what was prescribed to me by some people who are:

1. Very strong.
2. Very knowledgeable in the area of strength and power.

This has yielded very good results for me, but you have to remember, there are many other factors that must be working well to see results in the gym. This includes:

1. Diet
2. Rest
3. Recovery (which is basically a combo of 1 & 2)

Also, everyone is different. what has worked for me may not work for you. You should also read starting strength by Mark Rippetoe.

A lot of people will say: "Well, that can't be a good routine, you're only doing 3 exercises a day"

What you have to remember, is that these are all compound lifts. There are no isolation exercises (ie. biceps curls, shoulder raises, etc). If you are lifting to your potential, you should be beat by the end.

Also, you must realise that training for strength and training for size are separate beasts. There are 2 types of muscle hypertrophy (growth). I can't remember what they are, but I'm sure a bit of Googling would turn them up.

Getting stronger has to do with your CNS (central nervous system) recruiting more and more motor units the more you train.

Say you take a complete beginner, and have him lift a weight. Maybe only 30% of his motor units are being recruited to lift the weight. Well, maybe next week, he is able to do more weight and now 35% of his motor units are being recruited. Get it?

I could really go on for a long time, but you should should spend some free time searching around and picking things up. The place I go for all my lifting help and info is:

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f13/

It's funny. I started lifting like this in February, and I'm hooked. I don't think I'll ever stop. or go back another way.

My dead lift was 185x5 then and yesterday I did a 1RM (rep max) and pulled 365x1. That's still very low at 180 lbs. body weight, but is a testament to the improvement.

Back