Trailex after mast stand

Coconut

I’m ordering the Trailex SUT 200 to trailer my Sunfish. To carry the spars and sail, Trailex also sells the ‘after mast stand’ that attaches to the gudgeon mounts on the transom and a deck mounted carrier with the suction cup legs to place on the forward deck. Anyone have any experience with these accessories? Do they work well? What length after mast stand is optimal? Thanks for your input.

I have used both of these stands with my Trailex 200 SUT and they did the job for me.

The stand that attaches to the gudgen is slightly adjustable. Sorry I didn't measure anything. I just secured and adjusted the gudgen stand to what I thought was the best available position and trailered my Sunfish and spars away for 250 miles. This stand as well as the suction cup stand will work with the hull side down or the hull side up.

The suction cup unit worked very well but note, the suction cups won't keep the stand in place by themselves. The mast and/or spars must be tied down to the trailer or boat in order to put pressure on the cups. The cups will slide around on the deck/hull unless the spars are tied to prevent side to side movement.

I recommend a spar bag or other measures to help protect the sail from wind damage.

Offramp - thanks for the reply. Exactly the feedback I was looking for. I will order the stands along with the trailer. Regarding the length of the after mast stand - it comes in several lengths: 10", 16", 33" (all somewhat adjustable). Which one do you use ? I wonder if the 10" provides enough clearance so that the gooseneck does not contact the deck of the boat.

I will also certainly pick up a spar bag to keep the sail from flopping around in the wind...any brand/vendor recommendation on that ? Thanks!

I bought a Trailex SUT-200-S and the SMSK Mast Carrier Set through Castlecraft. They were offering free UPS shipping last spring.

The SMSK Mast Carrier Set includes the DMMC4 (Deck Mount Mast Carrier) and AM-10 (10" Gudgeon mount carrier). I guess the gooseneck could hit the deck with the 10" rear mount but I had my gear tied up and the gooseneck was wasn't hanging down and didn't apear to be an issue.

coconut,

Sorry, I got so carried away about the rear suport, I forgot about your question about a spar bag. I don't have any experinece with one. My fish is now up north at the lake where it will likely stay for years and I don't know that I will need a spar bag.

I am pretty sure that Annapolis Performance Sailing has them.

Back