Trailer vibration question

Discussion in 'Capri/Catalina 14 Talk' started by puddlesailer, Mar 17, 2010.

1. chemprof

chemprof Member

... and just because advice is free, here's another thought.

If you have a smog check station and/or a shop that has a dynamo, perhaps you could sweet talk them into letting you put the trailer wheels (leave the boat off if possible) on the rollers to watch where the vibration seems to be coming from.

For no particular reason, I favor the spring problem. Spindles are really tough metal and hard to bend appreciably.

Also, what did you mean by "when the trailer jacked up" in the following:

-- Ed

2. puddlesailer

puddlesailer New Member

Problem solved ! (finally)

Hi Everyone,
    I had to put my trailer project on the back burner for a while - but today I put new bearings and hubs on and it tows like a dream.. no more vibration.

In retrospect I should have been much more thorough in diagnosing my problem than I was. I think that I was intimidated by the notion of completely disassembling the bearings and hubs. If I had taken them apart at the get go I would have noticed that the races (which were not removable from the hubs) were badly scored. Even though the spindles are also badly scored, the new hubs, races and bearings seem to have solved my problem.

My advice to anyone who has put off checking and greasing their bearings : Don't put it off! It is VERY easy and will save you a headache down the road. E trailer has several video demonstrations that you can watch if you need to. Even if you have never done it before it won't take you more than half an hour to do both hubs!

I'm not sure if my bad spindles will cause me more problems in the future but I'm glad that I don't need to look for a new trailer right away.

Thank you very much to all that helped me with great suggestions!! Hopefully my future questions will have to do with the boat and sailing and not with towing!!

Regards,
    John