Trailer Question???

Mark P

I have my new trailer all set up and took the Fish out for a test spin yesterday.

It pulled great but, it left me with a few questions though--

1- How warm do hubs ususlly get (8" tires)? They were warm to the touch but Not Hot.

2- Is a little bounce normal. I assume so with such a light boat. The trailer has an 860 Lb limit.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Mark

Those little wheels spin like crazy and the hubs do warm up. On long long trips it's good to check at each stop. Bearing Buddies help keep things greased. An upgrade to 12" wheels will reduce the revolutions. If you keep the 8s repack bearings yearly. Best done in the fall so any water doesn't sit over winter.

On some trailers you can remove a leaf spring and soften the ride. Easier on your boat. Trailer suppliers have other spring options too.

Mark P said:
I have my new trailer all set up and took the Fish out for a test spin yesterday.

It pulled great but, it left me with a few questions though--

1- How warm do hubs ususlly get (8" tires)? They were warm to the touch but Not Hot.

2- Is a little bounce normal. I assume so with such a light boat. The trailer has an 860 Lb limit.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Mark

Regarding the bouncing; what kind of trailer did you get? If it's a Trailex, the recommended tire pressure is 15 psi.

I am not contradicting Wavedancer. Be very careful your tire pressure is correct for the trailer, load, and tires. Trailex at 15 psi may work for that setup. Other makes could require as much as 65 psi and lowering the pressure too much will lead to highway blowouts. Talk with the manufacturer about what's right for your specific trailer and application.

I agree with Dan, keep your tires at the pressure stated by the manufacture or side wall of the tire, it will ride better. I changed my wheels to 12" (55 psi cold) from 8" (had to change the fenders also), installed bearing buddies and I carry a 3oz grease gun (with Marine Bearing Grease) to keep the bearing greased (4-5 squirts or untill it comes out the relief hole at each gas stop, 250-300 miles). The hubs were barely warm to the touch at each check and after 1400 miles in 3 days, have had no problems ( a little grease has escaped onto the wheel from under the rubber bearing buddy cap, but that's all). Had a little bounce over rougher spots, trailer rated at 600 lbs.

Just a note about tires. Mine are 5.30 x 12 and are a little larger in diameter, about 22" (and width) than the 4.80 x 12, about 21" a friend has. We discovered this when I was going to loan him my spare (he had a flat) and my tire and wheel would not fit (had to go get a new wheel and tire). The same holds true for the 4.80 x 8 vs the 5.80 x 8 tires. Make sure your spare matches the other tires and fits your trailer (under the fenders) before taking any trips.

Back