top section trauma!

mlemieux1978

Hey guys,
I had the just about the worst race in a long career of bad races this past saturday. deathrolled my rig into the signals rig of the RC boat!!! Ripped my regatta sail and called it quits for the day. Anyhow, I was wondering if there was a good way to know if my top section was going to go as a result of this mid air collision? There are no obvious cracks in it @ the point of impact or in the end you insert in the lower section nor is it bent. However it is original to the boat, 1992. Should I trust this thing, or should it be replaced?

thanks in advance,
Mike Lemieux

If there are no cracks, dents or dings, I'd say it's fine.

If it's the original from '92, I'd say it's probably better than the top sections you'd buy today.

It should be ok if there is no visible signs of damage, but I would suggest replacing the top collar and physically examining the rivet hole for any cracks under the collar.

With a 17 year old section, I'd be surprised if it didn't have a significant amount of corrosion under the collar. If it is cracked or corroded, end for end the complete top section and replace all the plugs so that the spar remains water tight.

Vanguard used a bad batch of aluminum for a few years when they made lasers... I believe it was like '88-'92? However... if it hasn't snapped on you by now I'm guessing you skated that section of rigs.

For point of refrerence... I have a 2001 and I'm thinking about replacing my upper section... I'd rather take one for the team and replace a $200 upper than replace a $200 upper and a $600 dollar sail...

Vanguard used a bad batch of aluminum for a few years when they made lasers... I believe it was like '88-'92? However... if it hasn't snapped on you by now I'm guessing you skated that section of rigs.

For point of refrerence... I have a 2001 and I'm thinking about replacing my upper section... I'd rather take one for the team and replace a $200 upper than replace a $200 upper and a $600 dollar sail...

Man, you're lucky you're got 8 years.

It was always the bottom sections that bothered my. If that thing broke, including the metal sleeve inside, not only was it going to rip your deck to shit (which it could anyway), but I didn't want jagged metal coming at me haha.

Update: end for ended the top section. There weren't any cracks, or any real deep corosion to speak of. I guess UK spars (painted) last a little better. Anyhow, thanks to all for the advice

Mike

Back