Top section bend - what is the best alignment

pugwash

I bent my top section and then end-to-ended it - so I now have a bend about 2 ft from the top of the mast - this offsets the tip of the mast about 1/2 to 1 inch from the straight position - what is the best position to set up the mast? I have been sailing and racing with the bend pointing forward (I sorta hoped the thing would straighten over time but no change all season) - the leech seems pretty closed when set up this way - any ideas/suggestions

call you sponsor and tell em you need more money for a new top section lol:rolleyes:

You should pretty much always bend it back after every time you sailed (maybe not after training, but at least after every 2-3 training sesions).

If you do it properly it'll be ok =p

Don't know about bend direction but more importantly: when you end-for-ended it, did you rivet the plastic collar on one side? If so, make sure the rivet is facing aft, otherwise if it's to the fore when you pull on a lot of vang, you'll be stretching the rivet hole open - a weak point that's likely to break. If you riveted it fore and aft, umm, er not sure. Mount the holes abeam?

I suggest you straighten the section.

Be careful to do it gently and slowly but you can do it. Kinking it would suck.
TAKE YOUR TIME!!!
BE PATIENT!!!
Don't do it if the explanation makes no sense.

1. Find a big strong trailer.
2. You will need a one foot long two by four or bigger and some thick towells.
3. Find a place on the trailer where you can place the tip under one strong beam and the bent part as a fulcrum on another strong beam.
4. You need to pad the section and spread the load on the outside of the bend.
5. Wrap a few layers of towell around the bend. It is nice if the width of the towells is about 6 inches.
6. Place the board on top of the trailer where your fulcrum will be and place the outside towell wrapped part of the bend over the board.
( If you do not use a board, the trailer will put a nasty kink in your mast. Spread the load with the board going the long way. You may need to fiddle with the towell wrap thickness and location to attain a perfect repair.)
7. Put some good thick padding under the trailer where the tip if the mast will be.
8. gently pull down on the other end of the mast.

Take it all apart and look to see if you ahve fixed anything.

Try this about a dozen times. Each time, pull just a little harder. Sooner or later, something will start to bend back. After an hour or so of parient fiddling You will have a straight mast.

If you try to do it on teh first try, you will probably kink the mast and ruin it.

About that collar rivet.

Many years ago my enbgineer budies decided teh rivet should be on the side. It should be 90 degrees from fore and aft.

the mast does not have as much side load and the rivet core becomes a rotation point rather than a compression point or stretch point...saifd teh engineers.

I have been alternatly sailing with my rivet to starboard or post for the last ten years and I have not replaced a single top section duting those ten years.
I bent or broke at least twenty top sections between 1983 and when I changed from rivet aft to rivets on the side.

I am a 100% believer is rivet on the side.

Today my kid was racing his 29er at the Ontario Hi-Schools regatta - I am far too old to tale my laser out in this regatta - but this did give me the time to carefully and patiently apply Guvs top section straightening methodology - lots of curious stares from folks in the boat park but I am delighted to report that I am now the proud owner of a straight top section.

A few folks gathered around and started to admit to the number of bent sections they have in their garage - so we may have started a straightening trend.

Anyway kiddo finished 4th on his rocket sled (29er) and I have a straight topsection to use in the fall series - altogether a satisfactory weekend thanks again Guv!

Back