Top mast question.

AB175591

I've both normal full rig top mast and the L1 European one.

What's the difference between those ? Is the L1 legal for racing ?

Thanks,
Antoine

I think I found my answer: the L1 have black plastic ends, compare to the stock blue ends on the normal top mast.

The L1 is a practise top section, for sale in Europe. It is suitable for club sailing, but not for international racing. I think it's because it is cheaper, and inferior quality.

(Correct me if I'm wrong)

Not legal and less expensive, yes. As far as quality, even class legal ones snap left and right.

Pretty much every Laser I have ever seen (with 1 exception) had black end plugs in the mast and a black collar on the mast.

So end cap colour is not necessarily an indicator of a legal top section.

What you should have somewhere (unless it is very old) is a Laser sticker saying that this is a genuine part.

The really old sections (that had more than 1 rivet on the mast collar) did not have these (I could be wrong, AlanD our local resident expert on measurement will no doubt correct me).

I am based in the UK though.

It's very rare for us in our region to see anything other than white plug & collars, other than the radial bottom sections. Although at one stage we had black for the end caps of the boom & top section.

Double rivetted collars have never come out of the Australian factory in the 25 years or so, I've been involved in the class. I have seen people who don't know better put in a second rivet.

I have seen quite a few very old double rivetted collars here in the UK. They don't last long once you get a 15:1 kicker on the boat for some reason.....

Back