Too big for a laser?

andrewk

I used to sail 420s way back and trying to get back into sailing and been looking at a laser. I am 6'2 200. Looking for some opinions on those who currently sail lasers. I am looking for a simple boat to get back in the swing of things.

it can be done, but if I was you, I would get into Finns, or Stars

Buy a Laser....

Very high resale values, so many fleets you'll always have people to race against and no... you're not going to win the Olympics if you're over 200.

However.... with me being around 220, you can compete on a club and regional level. I firmly believe that the reason I don't win regattas has little to do with my weight, much much more to do with "boat brains"

(Having said that, I seem to have much better boat brains when it's blowing?!)

You want a fun, simple boat... get a Laser, there's no other choice.

In my first Laser regatta, Brett Bayer sailed away from Michael Blackburn to win in light winds. Brett then weighed 88kg/194 lb. He said his weight wasn't a problem.

At my last Open Laser regatta, Brett Bayer sailed away from Mike Leigh, North America's top Laser sailor, to win in light winds. Brett was then 85kg/187lb.

So the simple facts are that you can win three Masters worlds and beat the world champ and the best Laser sailor in NA in light winds at 187-194 lb. For most sailors, 200lb is no great problem.

Have noticed that in light and variable airs in lake sailing (at 68kg) that some times I have speed to burn (the boat just seems to go relentlessly at higher speed than other Lasers or mixed fleet boats) and in social sailing I need to drag my feet to stay with the pack. Other times (and usually in more serious competition) in simmilar windstrength but possibly differnent 'textured' breeze heaver saillors really don't seem that disadvantaged - in lasers at least.

Seems to depend on your set-up and wheter you have the nature of the breze 'dialed in' so you understand and automatically adjust to changes (even predict them)

Just get one!

I spent last season sailing a really boat that was close to 220lb, and I also weighed 220 ish. I'm also 6'2". With one notable exception (due to me being off colour) I always finished near the front of the fleet, against 170lb guys in brand new XD rigged boats. Only in around 7 or 8 knots of wind did I really seem to suffer due to the weight problems. Light or heavy winds weren't a problem. This season, in a new boat, I'm going slower, due to lack of gym time, even though i'm about 200 now.

Whats the worst that can happen? if you come last, who cares?

I weigh 240 and I can be competitive. In the breeze 30 mph and above, pretty much unstoppable. But in the light stuff poses a huge challenge and especially downwind. It is doable and makes you be on your game. I would love to be 200lbs and 6'2". Also 185 is only 15 lbs lighter, that is really not much weight to lose.

i am 16 5'9" i weigh about 200lbs. good strong winds and i kick ass. need the leg muscle and the abbs. hike hard and long

I hope your all muscle and on the football team, for your height and age your huge!

no offense, just saying

I weigh 240 and I can be competitive. In the breeze 30 mph and above, pretty much unstoppable.

lol. much like a bolder rolling down a hill I'd say :D

But in the light stuff poses a huge challenge and especially downwind. It is doable and makes you be on your game.

You win understatement of the year award here! :D This is what I am warming to in the laser class. The laser can turn pretty much anyone into a tower of sailing skill.

yeah i guess i am pretty big for my age and yess i also play football D line, sometimes i play safty... Anyways im prob pusshing the limit for sailing lasers but i am seriously competitive in heavy winds not so mch light in light air i need to work more also my adjustments they need to be more then perfect if i want to be competitive in light airs but its fun.

Back