To tack or not to tack?

JuanCH

Hi this weekend I`ve been racing in my club and I´ve found out that I'm not very sure when to tack. After the start the fleet divides itself, I found myself in the middle, the problem comes when those who are ahead start to tack, I feel a bit insecure then, should I tack, should I keep my course? What happens to the boats behind me? Should I protect my position? Tack when the behind boat tacks? Has anyone experienced this sensation? I am new to racing and I need to polish that up! Thanks

Hi this weekend I`ve been racing in my club and I´ve found out that I'm not very sure when to tack. After the start the fleet divides itself, I found myself in the middle, the problem comes when those who are ahead start to tack, I feel a bit insecure then, should I tack, should I keep my course? What happens to the boats behind me? Should I protect my position? Tack when the behind boat tacks? Has anyone experienced this sensation? I am new to racing and I need to polish that up! Thanks
That is why racers meet at a the bar after the race! You will never have trouble finding experienced, great racers who would will gladly coach you in those never ending concerns ....over a beer or two. You might ask to crew with an experienced racer. You will gain a lot.
Your questions are exactly what makes us get together and compete ! I hope you never stop asking and never stop trying to find the answer to each of your questions!!:) Eric

First and foremost, you have to have a reason to tack:

- Windshift
- Yield right of way
- Clear air
- More wind on the side of the course
- Current

These are just a few reason to tack. The bottom line is don't just tack "because everybody else tacked". It will the clearer what to do when you have more racing experience.

These are just a few reason to tack. The bottom line is don't just tack "because everybody else tacked". It will the clearer what to do when you have more racing experience.

I agree here but if you have absolutely no idea I would stick with the majority of the fleet. Later you will learn why they tacked and then end up following them anyway unless you have a very good reason not to.

If you can get off of the line in clear air, not behind or below somebody that is probably most important. A pretty good rule i used to use when I was beginning to race is to always try to keep the mark within your line of forward vision, i.e. if you have to crane your neck around to see the mark you probably should tack. This becomes second nature with practice but the biggest mistake new sailors make is they dont point towards the mark (stuck in the middle) or go too far out to one side.

If you sail a fairly straight course at good speed there is no reason why you can't go ahead and win the race! Have confidence in your course and you'll be fine.

Back