tips for big regatta

max-ebb

hi,
I'm going to organize a Laser regatta in Mexico and we expect it to be very crowded.
I'd like to hear tips and feedback from people who have either raced in or organized crowded one design regattas.
best.

:cool: bring 2, or maybe 3 extra of everything, it always helps to have spares, and bring and extra sail, and and extra of every kind of sailing gear you intend on wearing, like an extra pair of hiking pants, bringing extra stuff never hurts, and some tools would be good, like a screwdriver, phillips and a flathead, and some prayer really never hurts, and overall, just have a good time, and ask a ton of questions, check the local wether, try not to worry too much, and just enjoy yourself

just dont try to be too overprotective of the sailors, i mean this by the fact that it really makes people mad when the regatta organisers are always trying to get you in big groups and giving lectures on safety before everyone gets on the water, just chill and run a fun relaxed but professional regatta.
im sure it will go great as long as everyone remembers everyones there to have a good time
good luck

thanks everyone for the tips.
I too think that considering the real interest of the sailors is the organizer's first job.

by the way I have another question about the laser formula and having women and men racing together but I think it's better to start a new thread

Hi Antonio,

I've been to some regattas with 150 boats (Lasers and Radials) and just got back from one with 60 Lasers/Radials and 40 or so of other classes. Things that make a crowded regatta nicer for the competitors:

Enough room for many people to launch and return at once; a beach is ideal as long as it is sheltered from waves.

Multiple hoses so people can wash down their boats and get derigged faster.

Multiple showers so that people can clean themselves immediately after sailing and before dinner.

Dinner served late enough that the last people in can still get derigged and cleaned up before the food's all gone. If you've never run a regatta before, we get HUNGRY! I'd rather get between a bear and her cub then a mess of Laser sailors and their food, especially after a windy day racing.

Camping onsite at the venue is nice for a lot of people.

Lots of trophies is fun in a big, diverse regatta, ie first woman, first Master, first Grand Master, first Junior, etc., in addition to the top few overall finishers.

Good luck!

hi Michelle,
thanks for your useful tips.
Many good details together make a big difference and nothing is better than firsthand experience.

Antonio

Michelle brings up some good tips. I'd really like to stress the point of having lots of hoses. Some people (and I'm very guilty of this) could easily spend some 4 or 5 minutes washing my boat after the days racing. Make sure you have plenty of hoses and don't put them right next to the ramp! This will create a huge boat jam. Also make sure your harbor start is well before the first gun so people will not rush to the ramp when the gun goes off. Another thing I find very helpful is to have many volunteers at the launch ramp to take sailor's dollies back up to the rigging area/beachhead. If sailors have to bring their own dollies back up, you'll be launching all day.

About the classes, two starts for Lasers and Radials would be ideal. However if you do not want to have the hassle and want to get the races off quickly, it helps to have the radial sailors put colorful ribbons treaming from the top of their masts to help the judges at the finish.

And one more thing, the best reggatas are the fun ones. Get your local Vanguard dealer involved to donate items for a raffle.

Teeftie said:
just dont try to be too overprotective of the sailors, i mean this by the fact that it really makes people mad when the regatta organisers are always trying to get you in big groups and giving lectures on safety before everyone gets on the water, just chill and run a fun relaxed but professional regatta.
im sure it will go great as long as everyone remembers everyones there to have a good time
good luck

I'd second this but add that it really SUCKS when it gets windy,,and the committee sends everyone in!!--At the skipper's meeting,,stress the importance that each competitor must decide if they're 'up' to the given conditions,and act accordingly.

I agree too, best give out good weather information and clear guidelines and have people decide themselves if they are willing to sail or not.

Antonio

It;s a medium terms project (about 18 months from now) for a one-design regatta.
It's gonna be in Baja California Mexico and we will award very cool prizes.
I have chosen the laser on account of its overwhelming popularity.
It's meant to be a sailor's event, for people who like to spend time in the water rather thanin the protest room.
It's gonna also be open to anyone regardless of yacht club or federation affiliation.
A lot of work is yet to be done and I'm trying to gather as much feedback as possible form all sources.
Anyone interested in giving adivce feel free to post here or e-mail me at [email protected].
I'll be very appreciative of your time and expertise.

Antonio

Back