Tinting white gelcoat

davavd

OldNSlow
My boat is an '82 AMF Alcort. The hull & deck are off-white. I kinda forgot that when I got white gelcoat to finish off the patches. :rolleyes: What color (yellow or brown, I guess) colorant did you use to match the off-white?

I have a 1974 sunfish and that one is white. But my 1983 is off white. and i put a very small amount of yellow and a brown. all you'll need is the about the amount of a pin head. I use a paperclip. when you mix it it should match pretty good. Good luck.

Hmmm..., yellow is a component of brown. It could be a little less brown gets the same result.
http://home.att.net/~RTRUSCIO/COLORSYS.htm

Here's a long shot. You are trying to match a unique color. Not only that, a color that has some age on it... so knowing the original color still doesn't get an accurate match.

Might you have a chip of the original from your patch work? You could take that to nearly any autobody shop or home paint department and have them run it through their color analyzer. The result would be the exact tints and their ratios. An autobody shop might even have the resources to recommend tints specifically for gelcoat.

Back