Tiller

I recently bought a new tiller ("wishbone" style, made of anodized aluminum). I bought it from a local Sunfish dealer and it is really great - much stiffer and lighter than the old tiller.

I checked the sunfish class rules and am concerned because
1. the diagrams in the rules only allow the second tiller (not the wide one from the 1960s or the new wishbone one).
2. the rules say that all rudders, tillers, etc. post 1992 have a class-approved sticker on them. My new tiller does not.

Are there plans to update the rules to reflect the new tiller? Has the manufacturer ceased placing class-approved stickers on rudders and tillers, and spars?

I recently bought a new tiller ("wishbone" style, made of anodized aluminum). I bought it from a local Sunfish dealer and it is really great - much stiffer and lighter than the old tiller.

1. the diagrams in the rules only allow the second tiller (not the wide one from the 1960s or the new wishbone one).
2. the rules say that all rudders, tillers, etc. post 1992 have a class-approved sticker on them. My new tiller does not.

Are there plans to update the rules to reflect the new tiller? Has the manufacturer ceased placing class-approved stickers on rudders and tillers, and spars?
I think that's going to be a question for your division's Class Measurer. International Sunfish Class Association

... somehow I suspect you already know this. :rolleyes:

Anyway, isn't this part currently in flux? Has the dust settled yet??

The APS site has a picture of the class-legal 'wishbone' tiller:
http://www.apsltd.com/c-2387-sunfish-ruddertilleranddaggerboard.aspx
Here's another picture:
http://na.laserperformance.com/images/assets/pdfs/sunfish/sunfishparts.pdf

If yours looks like that, I wouldn't worry. Moreover, I just checked the tiller on my 2006 Sunfish and it doesn't have a sticker (the blade does).

The class rules posted on the web probably need updating...

Regarding Wayne's comment, I have heard (rumors!) that the manufacturer of the wishbone tiller went out of (that?) business. There's a new version; we are back to a single tube. Pictures can be found in the thread on the most recent Worlds:
http://www.sunfishforum.com/showthread.php?t=33418

I am the head of the class advisory council, which is responsible for our rules. Here are my comments:

Two things - first, we have been trying to get a drawing of the wishbone tiller from the builder so we can put it in the rules, but have been unsuccessful so far. However, you are ok, as one of the first rules in our class rules says "Unless specifically prohibited, any equipment that has ever been supplied by the Builder may be used on any boat."

I don't think I have seen class approved stickers on the tillers either - I don't know why they are not on there. I have a new wishbone tiller in a box - I will open it up and see if it has a sticker.

Are there plans to update the rules to reflect the new tiller? YES per the above.

Has the manufacturer ceased placing class-approved stickers on rudders <-- I don't think so

and tillers, <-- looks like they may have

and spars? <-- bought a spar recently and it had a sticker

Note that the wishbone tiller is no longer available, as Holt, the manufacturer, went belly-up. Boats are now coming with aluminum tillers of approx the same dimensions as the wood tillers we were getting from 1972 up til 2007 or 2008 or so.

Hope this helps.

Chris Williams

Back