Tiller Refinishing??

Discussion in 'Capri/Catalina 14 Talk' started by sandman, Jun 1, 2010.

1. sandman

sandman New Member

I am going to refinish my tiller and wanted to see what your thoughts are on the matter.

I can go smooth and shiney with a UV spar varnish, or use tung or Danish oil and keep it a matt finish. If it is smooth and shiney will it be slippery?

Suggestions...Ideas??? What does your tiller look like and are you happy with it?

2. Allatoona

Allatoona Member

This winter I sanded my tiller then varnished with Spar Varnish. I found it was not slippery at all, although I typically wear sailing gloves, and often use the tiller extension.

It does look pretty with the varnish and has kept up very well in salt water.

I use the Spar Varnish on my big boat and it sits in the sun all year. It needs an extra coat or two every year, it stays in fresh water. I keep my Capri in the garage, so it hasn't shown any wear at all yet.

-Robert

3. sandman

sandman New Member

Thanks Robert. It was a tough decision but I decided to use Tung oil. Looking at the number and types of scratches on the tiller I thought the smooth finish of urethane might not wear as well. At least for me, when a big scratch appears I have the urge to refinish things over again to get it looking fresh.
    Tung oil will allow me to touch up and nicks or scratches quickly. I will post some pictures when I am finished.

4. cptmoney

cptmoney New Member

Sandman -

I refinished my tiller with Teak Oil; I think it looks fantastic!

Let us know how it turns out...

5. pmpetracca

pmpetracca New Member

Cetol

I am in the process of refinishing my tiller with Cetol Marine to be covered with Cetol Marine Gloss finish.

Hopefully I will be happy with the results. As I keep my tiller/rudder in the garage, I don't think weathering will be an issue.

"Cloud 9" #546

_/)

6. chemprof

chemprof Member

I used Teak Oil. Check this:

h**p://www.westernwooddoctor.com/teak-oil-vs-spar-varnish.htm

Both are good -- I just like the idea of a penetrating oil.