Tiller Question

riskym

I've just bought my first laser and have sailed it a couple of times. I don't know a great deal about lasers so have a question to ask. Each time that I've used the boat the tiller has scuffed across the back of the hull leaving black marks (from the tiller). It also appears to be wearing away at the hull which is obviously not good. I also noticed today that the tiller was continuously getting 'caught' on the traveler cleat as it didn't appear to be sitting high enough. I didn't notice this before. I've noticed a few other posts on this site about tiller / rudder fittings and there seems to be a lot of discussion regarding how to get the two snuggly fitted together. It may be simply that I've not done this but this wouldn't make the tiller sit higher ... or would it?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Mark

Check the angle of your tiller in the rudder. That could be it, as you suggest.
If that doesn't work, check to see if your gudgeons are worn down? That could also drop your rudder down a bit and cause the problems you are talking about.

I had the exact same problem with my tiller scratching up the aft deck..I epoxied a couple of stainless washers onto the pins of the rudder that go through the gudgeon so as to raise the whole rudder assembly up just a bit..Has worked great for two years now..

Excellent ideas / suggestions. I'll take a look when I'm next sailing. Thanks very much for the assistance. Much appreciated.

The washer idea works almost always, but if you're planning on racing, a flat carbon fiber tiller (like the Black Diamond) works incredibly well.

Back