Tiller length and modification

Levent

I don't know if I do something wrong but I couldn't reply on older threads is it normal ? so sorry for the redundancy ...

I have a Tiller Battlestick Ronstan, it came with my boat and never been modified according to the original owner, the stick is 39 inches (including the part inside the rudder) and the extension is 46 inches. When fully extended the length is 84 1/4 inches. The thing is it does not clear the main sheet block which is really annoying sometimes. It doesn't seem that easy to shorten it, any suggestion ? why is it too long ?

In any sort of breeze when you're hiked all the way out you are going to be very glad to have that tiller extention. When you're all but toenails in the boat, the seemingly long tiller extention is the perfect length to maintain steering ability while keeping the boat flat.

It does take some getting used to and a little bit of technique modification if you are used to sailing a different dinghy, but a few days on the water and you'll be all set!!!!

Sounds about right length if it is just longer than the mainsheet block. As Krycek says, you just need to get the technique right. You'll never want to go back to a short tiller extension as you really do need that length.

I have found in light air that the tiller extension jussstttt fits when you swing it at the top block on the boom.... the front block that its... and i mean it just barely makes it...

in his book Tillman says the tiller extension should clear the main sheet block, I checked this morning mine is about 4-5 inches longer.

I agree it's good to have a long extension but I'm not sure I have a good compromise here.

The standard length of almost all carbon/aluminum tillers and extensions are all about 39 and 46 inches. My Rooster tiller and extension are both that length and I have no problems in any wind strength. You defiantly need the length in the REALLY light and the just hiking fully wind strengths.

Back