Tiller Extension

Sunfish65

Hi,

I just bought a new aluminum tiller extension and want to attach it to my old tiller. I currently have the wooden tiller extension. My question is, what should I do with bolt hole in the old tiller? Cut it off? Leave the bolt in? Does anyone have a nice and neat solution?

Sunfish65

You can fill the hole with some thickened epoxy and then attach the new extension fitting over the filled hole or just cut off the end of the tiller, sand, re-varnish and then attach the new rig. If you cut off the tiller, you will be cutting off less than an inch and you probably won't notice any change in how the tiller performs or feels.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

I cut mine off just aft of the hole and mounted the new extension. I can't tell the difference from my newer boat. Easy as pie to do.

Or you could just remove the bolt and screw the new tiller extension plastic part on top of the hole, i´ve done that and my tiller is still working with heavy winds

Thanks all viable options. Should I use screws and bolts (flat screw heads towards deck)? Or will stainless steel wood screws work fine?

Back