Tiller Extension

imported_memnar

I just bought a 1974 Sunfish. It is in excellent condition and all original.

The question I have is about the tiller extension bolt.

The bolt has a hole in it for a pin - to keep the nut from coming loose. What do you use to keep the nut from backing off? When I look online at the assembly I do not see a pin in the pictures, only the bolt and nut.

I am using a home depot cotterish type pin right now but it has already gotten snagged on a passenger.

The whole assembly for the tiller extension came apart while traveling due to road vibration when we picked up the boat but luckily all the parts (except pin) were in the truck bed.

Thanks,
Erik

What you want is a stainless steel circular cotter pin called a "ring ding." Any good marine store or the Annapolis Performance Sailing catalog will have them. I think their website is APSLTD.com. A piece if copper wire will also work. Just don't use a true cotter pin unless you tape it carefully to make sure it does not cut your hands, or worse yet the sail (your hands will heal - the sail will not.)

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY l

Thanks, that worked. I took a key ring and replaced the cotter pin and will find a stainless ring for a permanent fix.

It was so simple - and I knew it was something simple that it was driving me nuts, kinda like looking for your sunglasses while wearing them..

We took the boat out today for 4 hours and had a great time.

Back