Throw Outs for beer can races

Mr. Hand

Hello all,

I am in the process of tweaking our sailing instructions for this year's racing, and I and wondering what some other clubs are doing in regard to throw outs. We currently have a 20% rule, which means that one out of every 5 races can be tossed.

Please let me know what club you are from and what your throw out rules are. This will allow me to present some data to my fleet.

Thank you

Mike

Hello all,

I am in the process of tweaking our sailing instructions for this year's racing, and I and wondering what some other clubs are doing in regard to throw outs. We currently have a 20% rule, which means that one out of every 5 races can be tossed.

Please let me know what club you are from and what your throw out rules are. This will allow me to present some data to my fleet.

Thank you

Mike

We don't keep score for our informal Wednesday night races. For the Sunday afternoon club races, there are no throw outs. We have a Spring Series, two Summer Series, and a Fall Series, each with about 6 races, as well as Memorial, Independence Day and Labor Day Series. You have to sail 60% of a series to qualify for it. If you serve on Race Committee, then your score is averaged for that date to help you qualify. To figure a score for someone who disqualifies or withdraws after the race starts, add 1 to the total of racers in your fleet for that day. It doesn't hurt you if you have to miss a race or two, since they don't count the scores from the total racers for the series, only for each day. This system encourages you to stay home, and it's most helpful to show up and sail when your best racers are away at regattas, but neither are they penalized.

20% sounds good. It encourages people to sail often, but it leaves room for either making mistakes or to having other obligations.

G

Hi,
we also use 20%, seems good for missing races or bad days!
if we hold a big racing weekend or something then sometimes this goes to 10%, but only if a lot of people are there.

I guess what are also known as discards - scores that do not count towards the final placing. Worst scores or DNS/DNF are taken out first.

So in a 10 race series with 20% throw outs, (= 2 discards), only your top 8 scores count towards the final placing. This allows - as has been said - people to really goof up on a single race, or even miss a race for whatever reason.

The purpose is to reward consistent good quality sailing, yet not penalise for an unavoidable catastrophe, such as sickness or rig failure.

Thank you for the information. We may try to do more night of race type awards to keep the folks who feel like they are out of it for the season coming.

Mike

We do a similar thing here as well... including averaging somebodys points out if they are "Officer of the Day" and not able to race on any particular day [as Merrily noted].

We have regular sailors who cannot make it every week for some interesting reasons.... being a rural SC, sometimes they are shearing sheep, or harvesting grapes, or transporting stock... hahahaa.

For Wed night races we don't really keep a series score.

Last year we used the high point scoring system with a 75% participation requirement. Over the whole year (actually about 7 months of sailing) it seemed like getting 75% was getting tough, so we lowered it this year to 60%.

With high point you have to participate in at least 60% or races run and if you participate in more you only get scored for your best 60% of races held.

Back