Thoughts on Bailer replacement

Discussion in 'Sunfish Talk' started by Cdubb, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Light and Variable Winds

Light and Variable Winds Well-Known Member

I liked the concept of a metal bailer (that is hard to break). Also didn't know they're not very efficient. :oops: So what advice would you give the above reply?

[​IMG]

If you've got this "picture" above, why not use a cork—attached with a string—so it doesn't get lost? The bailing process should be much improved, plus the outside part isn't going to break.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  2. Charles Howard

Charles Howard Member

I think you are over thinking this. The plastic bailer have been around since the 70's and my boat still has the original one. They are strong. Certainly if abused, it will break but it is a low cost part and easy to replace. As someone said before they work well and I also sail with mine open all the time the boat is moving. If the boat is sitting, you just put the plug in. It works very well. I have had cockpits full of water from waves and flipping and it will drain it all. Replace the broken metal one with a plastic one that will work and just sail.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Al Courtines

Al Courtines New Member

The plastic ones are prone to breakage. I'd take my metal one back any day! I think the white plastic balls are a different size.

4. beldar boathead

beldar boathead Well-Known Member

What are you guys doing to break these bailers? I've had a plastic bailer for decades , my boats get heavy use, and have never broken one. In salt water environs, the plastic one is a no-brainer due to no corrosion problems. The metal bailer shown in the pic above looks so corroded a drain plug will never fit into it. Time for plastic!

5. Light and Variable Winds

Light and Variable Winds Well-Known Member

For starters, plastic deteriorates over time: one reason you don't see Chevy Corvettes with perfect-mirror paint jobs.

Sunshine, particularly in the South, is intense. Most outdoor Sunfish are stored with the bailer fully exposed to sunlight.
    UV kills plastic. A coat of paint would've protected the plastic bailer (some), but none of my three Sunfish are newer than 1978. :confused:

Anti-corrosive agents have come a long way since 1978.

I'll take metal, when it's available. :)