Think this old girl is worth it?

thabreit

Found this bought on Craigslist everything is included. She said that someone left it in her grage and she just wants ride of it. So I don't think there is a title with it. She said the hull is in fair condition. She wants 400 obo. Was thinking of offering 100 being it was posted on Craigslist over a month ago. If it was in decent condition and weighed right.
Just wanted to c what you experts had to say.
5Ee5Ka5Jc3K43Mf3I5c4kad5d759e56b01443.jpg

Thanks

If all the parts are there and the parts are in decent shape it's worth the $400. But if there are any issues , sail old or worn, cracks in rudder, heavy hull, than $100 might be the better price. Good luck!

Old style rudder assembly. I had the same hull, converted it to the pop up blade type, made a rudder blade and centerboard out of 5/4 mahogany and installed a bunch of inspection ports. Marine Tex is your friend. If the boat has fond memories for the owner, talk about them. A lot of times a seller will put a relatively high price on an object with sentimental value when selling it. For some, selling it cheap devalues their memories. Maybe she's just not ready to let go. Her head says sell it, but her heart says no. Pay her with something better than cash: let her share her memories... and it wouldn't hurt if you mentioned your plan to teach your young kids, or nieces and nephews or... she'll appreciate that someone else will create new fond memories with it...you get the idea. Make her feel good about giving you a good deal.

The side of the hull looks suspect and the deck gelcoat, or is that peeling paint? is definately toast. The mast and spars go for about $200 around here on craigslist if they are in good shape and have all the end caps amd the gooseneck is in good shape. The old style rudder/ tiller assembly goes for about $150 if it is not cracked, so $300-350 still wouldn't be a bad deal.

I decided to just wait. Was looking further away and there are some nicer newer boats for about the same money. Saw a 81 that looked in great condition for 450

I decided to just wait. Was looking further away and there are some nicer newer boats for about the same money. Saw a 81 that looked in great condition for 450
Ya I looked for about a week on craigslist, not only in my area either but pretty much anywhere within an hour and a half. You'll find a lot of people with decent boats that just want them gone. Happy searching!

Back