The Road to Master's Midwinters in Florida

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by Merrily, Jan 4, 2008.

1. foxy

foxy Member

Friday is a barbeque and Saturday is something really special put together by Debbie McGreggor and Linda Tillman. They are surprizing me, and I know it will be good. If you do have some special diet needs, give Linda a call and I'm sure she will work out something for you.

2. Michelle

Michelle New Member

Enjoy yourself, Merrily!

You too, Cindy!

3. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

I'll do my darndest!

When are you leaving for Australia, Michelle?

4. Michelle

Michelle New Member

In about 15 hours.
    :)

5. Merrily

Well, that has to be exciting. We want to hear all about it. Good luck with the sailing, and have a great time!

6. Michelle

Michelle New Member

Thanks!
    Looks like a nice lineup for MWE. Say Hi to Dave, Jack, David, Cindy, Mike, Peter, David, Gary, Rob, Sally, Al, Ian, Ted, Karen, Bob, Marvin, Henry, Joe, Eric, Mike, Ari, Jack and Ryan for me.

7. Merrily

I'll try to remember. Maybe I'll just open every conversation with, Michelle says "Hi." :)

8. Merrily

Hey, I finished my book. The first entry in my notebook, when I began the research, was in June of 1995. I was thinking it was going on 14 years, but it's only been twelve. Let's hope I'm a better writer than I am a mathemetician. I'm going to go celebrate.

9. Rob B

Rob B Active Member

Sooooo....What's it about?

10. Merrily

It's narrative non-fiction, about a boy who was captured by Shawnee Indians near Cincinnati in 1792. His father, Colonel Oliver Spencer, headed a New Jersey regiment in the American Revolution, so he had the connections to affect a rescue by diplomatic means. Battles, scalpings, burnings, Indian life, frontier life, and even a journey across Lake Erie in a sailboat. I ended up doing a sort of family saga, because that's what told the story best. The working title is HOWLING WILDERNESS: THE INDIAN CAPTIVITY OF OLIVER SPENCER.

11. LooserLu

LooserLu LooserLu

Congrats Merrily, finally you reached the finishing line. Apropos
    Does Michael Blake (book/storyboard of Dances With Wolves) or Kevin Kostner (director/actor of Dances With Wolves) sail Laser and are member of TLF? Perhaps, that would be THE chance for more for you, Merrily... However, Merrily: maximun success&fun for your Florida adventures.
    BTW: we have the famous,big German streetcarnival just right now. Belonging what town one lives, in the moment our natives all got crazy up to next Wednesday and here now say all the time: "Helau" { "Duesseldorf/Rhine", "Munich" },
    or "Koelle Alaaf" { "Cologne/Rhine" } ...

Helau
    LooserLu

12. mental floss

mental floss Member

Michele,

Tell me again what kind of bird that is on your boat?
    Enjoy Austraila

13. Michelle

Michelle New Member

It's a shearwater; sort of related to albatrosses.

14. Merrily

What's a good website for the weather for these regattas? What water temps can we expect?

15. knot_moving

knot_moving Member

It won't be hard :)

These are Atlantic temps, don't know what the Indian River temps are but I would think these might be close.

SURF ZONE FORECAST
    NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MELBOURNE FL
    600 AM EST WED FEB 6 2008

FLZ141-147-062200-
    COASTAL VOLUSIA-NORTHERN BREVARD-
    INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...DAYTONA BEACH...TITUSVILLE
    600 AM EST WED FEB 6 2008

.TODAY...PARTLY SUNNY...BREEZY AND CONTINUED WARM. HIGHS IN THE MID
    80S. SOUTH WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH INCREASING TO 15 TO 20 MPH.

LATEST SURF TEMPERATURE AT DAYTONA BEACH: 64
    LATEST SURF TEMPERATURE AT COCOA BEACH: 70
    400 AM WATER TEMPERATURE AT BUOY 41009: 74

see you at the mmwe !

mike

16. Cindy Taylor

Cindy Taylor Member

The Melbourne sailing and racing site (http://www.sail-race.com) has weather links. I like the Marine Forecast at http://weather.noaa.gov/pub/data/raw/fz/fzus52.kmlb.cwf.mlb.txt. Look at the coastal waters out to 20 NM for the area that you are interested in. Sometimes they break up the forecast to different areas. Right now the Melbourne area is in the area "COASTAL WATERS FROM VOLUSIA BREVARD COUNTY LINE TO SEBASTIAN
    INLET OUT 20 NM" and the Jensen Beach area is "COASTAL WATERS FROM SEBASTIAN INLET TO JUPITER INLET OUT 20 NM". West Palm Beach is just south of Jupiter.

It has been hot on the east coast of Florida for this time of year. I just heard on the TV that Melbourne broke a record yesterday at 87 degrees. We are expecting a cool down this weekend. The temperatures vary as the cold fronts come down and pass.

I wore a spray top when I went sailing last Saturday in Titusville on the Indian River. I get cold when the wind blows on the coolish waters (in the upper 60's). I was just right when the winds piped up to around 10-15 mph.

I would say to take your spray top & maybe your wetsuit just in case a front comes down. You might not need it but if you do you'll be happy.

Cindy

17. Merrily

Thanks! It sounds like I can definitely leave the dry suit at home. I'll bring my neoprene hikers and spray top and various lycra and poly liners, and also a wetsuit. It hasn't been a brutal winter here so far, but 60 degree water and 80 degree air sounds fantastic!

18. Rob B

Rob B Active Member

This sounds seriously cool. Who are you selling the movie rights to?

You spent 15 yrs on this? How many other books have you written? Is this one you've been working on between other projects or have you been dedicated to this one?

I think I'll save the other 16 questions for beer time after Friday or Saturday's races.

19. Merrily

I'm selling the movie rights to the highest bidder!

Actually, it turns out that I "only" spent 12 and a half years on it, calculated from the first date in my notebook, June of '95. I took some time off and wrote a screenplay with some similar material. That needs a total rewrite, but I think I now know how to write a screenplay. I worked with a UCLA film professor on it. Also, in that time, we launched two sons off to college, and sadly, 3 out of 4 of our parents became ill and died. So I've had some detours. Of course, the best detour has been sailing!
    Before this book, I researched and wrote a book on the Yoruba people of Africa and got it published, THE AFRICAN MASK. Now I've got about 20 pages done on my next book, which is a fictional story about a 12 year old boy in 1853 Ohio. I'm looking forward to working on it, but when I get back from Florida, I have to spend some time on my house, cleaning, sorting, gardening, and when it gets warm enough, painting.

Enough yapping--time to go get my Laser for the trip. :D

20. Merrily

Tomorrow is the first big day for me, with the first day of Master's Midweek Madness at the United States Sailing Center, Martin County at Jensen Beach. It's going to be quite breezy at around 20 knots and chance of thunderstorms throughout the two day regatta. I'll do my best. I have sailed in wind that high before, but don't know if I can sustain racing in those conditions for race after race. I'll come in and enjoy the warm air and hopefully sunny skies if it gets to be too much. There's plenty of beer in our cooler! I took my boat over to the center and it is a beautiful place with wide lawns and a sandy beach to launch from. I saw VtGent49 (Al Russell) and also met Sally Sharp and Cindy Taylor. Whatever happens, it is better than Ohio in winter.