The Midwinters Clearwater Fla.

RobKoci

Well. I've done it. Booked the vacation time, convinced the wife, made my deals with God -- I am going to my first Midwinters. Can anyone help me with info on conditions: wind, tide, best side of the course, all that good stuff? I have never sailed in the Gulf. Never sailed in Florida, in fact. What can I expect? How many competitors usually? I am asking about Masters Mids as well as Open Mids. I haven't decided which I should go to. I either go to Masters cause I don't want to get my butt whipped too bad, or I go to the Open, get my butt whipped, and learn tons. Or maybe I learn more at the Masters cause the competitors are more likely to share info. Any opinions?
Oh, yes. If there are any laser sailors from Ontario, looking for a ride down, I am looking for driving help.

Hi,

I'm looking to have 2 masts, a boom and a board bag brought back from Clearwater to New England. Anywhere close to Vermont is ok, or to Westport, CT, or to Harrisburg, PA? Mucho gas/beer money available!

[email protected]

Al 138888

vtgent49 said:
Hi,

I'm looking to have 2 masts, a boom and a board bag brought back from Clearwater to New England. Anywhere close to Vermont is ok, or to Westport, CT, or to Harrisburg, PA? Mucho gas/beer money available!

[email protected]

Al 138888

I sent you an email. Let me know if you got it and we can discuss.
RK

Robert,

Can you do both? It's a lot of racing (6 days out of 9) but it's a good time.
Don't underestimate the Masters sailors down here-they'll give you some stiff competition! They are friendly, though. I did both regattas last year and the Masters MWE is two days and a little less intense-they'll probably call off racing if it's blowing 30 kts with big waves in the Gulf, where open MWE is 4 days and will race in anything short of life-threatening. Another option, but with more logistics involved is to do the Jack Swensen Florida Masters in West Palm Beach the weekend before the Masters MWE in Clearwater. That regatta also rocks-it's almost guaranteed to be warmer than Clearwater in Feb. I'm no good for Clearwater local knowledge, but do be prepared for anything in terms of wind conditions. Last year we had a day with no wind so we couldn't race followed by 20 then 25 then 30 kt gusts the next day when the front passed.

Whatever you decide to do, it'll be fun!

Hope to meet you,
Michelle
(I'll be over by the mangroves)

Michelle said:
Robert,

Can you do both? It's a lot of racing (6 days out of 9) but it's a good time.

Whatever you decide to do, it'll be fun!

Hope to meet you,
Michelle
(I'll be over by the mangroves)

Thanks Michelle:
I am doing both. The holidays are booked. I am staying on my cousin's C&C 27 in Dunedin for the duration, which is why I can afford to go in the first place, and why I can't afford West Palm (don't know anyone there). Thanks for the note. If you are there, look for an old guy with CAN on his sail. (Hmm. that won't work, there will a bunch of fogie Cannucks there). At 167lbs, I say, "Please, Don't Blow!!"

Rob,
I can't believe I missed this post before going to Masters MWE! I would have looked for you. Please tell us about the main event all that you can. You too, Michelle, and anyone else that is there.

Merrily

I actually posted this LAST year before I left for Clearwater. I am here in Clearwater this year again and the Masters are just finished and I am waiting for the Open Mids. I thought the Race Committee did a good job getting five races in, three the first day and two the second. I liked the light stuff on the first day and hated the chop on the second. The courses on the first day were a bit wonky. There was one windward first leg with a favoured pin end followed by a windward mark way over to the right. If you sailed more than 100 yards on starboard off the line, you overstood.
This year I tried sailing the boat with windward heel in the light stuff, and I went to weather with huge height. I loved it. It looked a bit weird, and the guys said I was easy to spot with the rig looking all wrong, but I am convinced it was fast. In the third race of day one (where I was ultimately black flagged), I was second around the top mark behind Raab, despite the fact I played the middle where the right was better.
There was a lot of complaining about the light weather, and there is a move afoot to move the Masters Mids to the east coast next year. I like it just fine where it is.

Hey Rob,

I've been keeping watch on the the net. Way to go. Wish I was there instead of working!!!! Good luck this week

Cheers
Mark

Back