The Fish Faded

Letitflow

Anyone ever re-dye the black sunfish emblem on their sail? My yellow and white sail is otherwise in great shape. I thought about other cool ideas like making the fat little fish look like Jolly Roger etc... Any ideas?

I don't race by the way so don't care if sail gets modded. Just like speed, heel, cold beer, white caps....

Attachments

• IMG_0243.JPG
    IMG_0243.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0246.JPG
    IMG_0246.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 40
Anyone ever re-dye the black sunfish emblem on their sail? My yellow and white sail is otherwise in great shape. I thought about other cool ideas like making the fat little fish look like Jolly Roger etc... Any ideas? I don't race by the way so don't care if sail gets modded. Just like speed, heel, cold beer, white caps....
I haven't tried it yet, but I'd be tempted to use masking tape and newspaper to mask off the emblem and then spray with Rust-Oleum® paint. (The color doesn't have to be black). Cured, Rust-Oleum® is relatively flexible, and will resist flaking off. It was my "go-to" answer for a upgrade to the vinyl interiors in 1960s cars I restored. At an especially important car show, I masked off my wheel rims, and painted the sidewalls of the five tires with Rust-Oleum® in semi-gloss black. Even after an hour's drive to the show, the "period" tires—though many years old—looked like new! :cool:

Carefully removing the masked emblem will enable placing the Sunfish emblem on replacement new sails which arrive without with that emblem. :)

Careful placement of a tell-tale will make it appear as though the Sunfish is chasing a live meal! ;)

Attachments

• 232323232fp533;6_nu=3234_;84__9__;_649_a3_3;5532_2329;7;_27956ot1lsi.jpg
    232323232fp533;6_nu=3234_;84__9__;_649_a3_3;5532_2329;7;_27956ot1lsi.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 61
I haven't tried it yet, but I'd be tempted to use masking tape and newspaper to mask off the emblem and then spray with Rust-Oleum® paint. (The color doesn't have to be black). Cured, Rust-Oleum® is relatively flexible, and will resist flaking off. It was my "go-to" answer for a upgrade to the vinyl interiors in 1960s cars I restored. At an especially important car show, I masked off my wheel rims, and painted the sidewalls of the five tires with Rust-Oleum® in semi-gloss black. Even after an hour's drive to the show, the "period" tires—though many years old—looked like new! :cool:

Carefully removing the masked emblem will enable placing the Sunfish emblem on replacement new sails which arrive without with that emblem. :)

Careful placement of a tell-tale will make it appear as though the Sunfish is chasing a live meal! ;)

Thanks for the ideas. Dacron (you would think) ought to be able to handle a little rust oleum paint. I think that's cool you repaired old 60's vinyl that way. It shows the stuff will flex. I'm gonna try to find an old sail ( Dacron) and play around before I try it. I like the tell tale idea you mentioned. I should use bacon.

Back