Tell a newbie where to launch in OC Ca

Ardilla_loca

I'm in Lake Forest and am the proud new owner of a '78 with "old" style rigging. I think I've got the rigging figured out and want to give it a shot. It's on a trailer and I'm wondering where to go to launch. I guess I figured on going to Newport's back bay. I assume there's parking for my car and trailer. Good Idea? Bad Idea?

I don't have much experience (sailed on a buddy's dad's 42' as a teenager but even then just hauled on lines till someone told me to stop) so if back bay is always slammed with people it probably wouldn't be the best place to start.

Thanks for the help!!! :)

You can launch at 18th street on the Penn. There is a small parking lot there with meters. As long as you have a dolly or two people you can carry it down to the water. You will probably have to put the trailer in a stall and pay for two parking spaces, or, if you can, slide your trailer underneath your car/truck (or stand it up and lash it to your vehicle). You should be OK there.

There is also a beach off Bay Ave between 9th and 10th that you can launch from. I dont't think that there are meters in front but if you are early enough you can get street parking.

When I was younger, we use to launch from the Island. You must have two people there to carry it over the sea wall. You should also get there early to find parking for car and trailer. There are a few others, let me know if you want more ideas.

Have fun,
Gerry

I just re-read your post, you mentioned the Back Bay. Don't go sailing there; it's surrounded by cliffs and buildings. Sail/launch as in my post above and you should be good. If you want light wind, sail in the morning, wind is lighter then. Also don't worry about others, most are motor boats, and they are supposed to get out of your way right:)

One more thing, (Don't know how I got stuck here????:eek:) If you are truely a beginner you might want to look into the OCC sailing school. Pretty cheap for great experience. They use Lido 14's but you will get the idea of sailing. Website: www.occsailing.com

For Newport Harbor, you can launch at the end of many streets on Balboa Island. The Newport Harbor Patrol will tell you which ones. Other than that, there is (ridiculously) no public launch ramp other than the one by the Dunes trailer park in the back bay.

I think a better choice is Long Beach Harbor. There is ALWAYS great wind at the Cabrillo Beach ramp at the north end...like, probably 1/3 stronger than anywhere else due to some effect of being at the base of PV. The Queen Mary ramp is quick and easy, although there are a lot of huge cigarette boats that get launched there. Easy access to the south end beaches of Long Beach harbor where you can actually sail a boat onto the beach at some parts (down where the kite sailors are). You can launch off the beach here too.

Great thing about both Long Beach ramps is that the wind blows offshore, which means that you don't have to turn the boat around in the water to raise the sail.

Sometimes getting back up the channel to the QM ramp is a slog depending on wind direction. Keep an eye on the wind if you're out in late afternoon. I've had to get a tow back from a cooperative motorboat on occasion. Also, whatever you do, keep out of the lee of the Queen Mary if the wind is blowing from the North. It's not only dead, but the wind actually eddies back the opposite direction, blowing you into the jetty that surrounds the QM.

Good luck!

Wow thanks for all the great replies!!! I'm hoping to get out and give it a shot this weekend. I have a buddy that did the sailing school and recently recommended it to me too. I'll check it out.

I too can't believe the lack of public launch sites around Newport. The price of real estate and all I guess.

Wish me luck!! (Actually I think I'm going to head down with a friend that can sail well so you won't hear on the news about some poor sap that ended up at Catalina on a laser because he couldn't get back to shore).

Lookin' forward to more involvement with the forum. Thanks again.

Back