Teaching a beginner. Advice needed

Strangler

I am taking a friend out lake sailing next weekend, he says he has sailed once - a Laser. I have two Lasers available. I have taught beginners in two person boats, but not sure how best to start if I am pushing him out in a single hander. I gave him a decent beginners book to read over the winter. He seems to have grasped the concept of trimming the sail for different wind angles and other stuff. I think he will progress quickly.
Specific points-
Tacking - would you teach the hand round the back technique from the start?
Would you introduce running early on [hey thats wobbly!]
Any tips greatfully received.

Specific points-
Tacking - would you teach the hand round the back technique from the start?
Would you introduce running early on [hey thats wobbly!]
Any tips greatfully received.

Proper tiller management is the very first thing to teach. Set up some chairs and show him on land with a tiller and piece of line and have him practice it some before he ever sets foot in the boat.

Teach reaching first and tacking. Upwind after that. Downwind and gybing last.

Just because a Laser is technically a single handed boat doesn't mean you have to just push him off. 2 people can and do fit. I sail with my girlfriend on mine all the time, and have on occasion sailed with other friends as well. It's really not that bad if the passenger stays well forward, basically on top of the center board, and the skipper sits back at the end of the tiller. Just go out with him. It's not like you're trying to win a race.

Back