Sunfish vs. Laser, please advise

unionsail

I have been offered for sale a Laser Standard. I am not familiar with this boat, but have sailed Sunfish and Hobie Holders. This would be for teaching sailing to youngsters between 10 and 16. Can anyone tell me how a Laser Standard compares to a Sunfish in terms of ease of sailing, stability, etc.? I know there will be obvious differences in rigging, etc. but I am more interested in how it compares in terms of handling, ease of sailing for youngsters, etc.
Thanks very much !

A Laser will be good for trained youngsters, but Seniors with Sunfish experience will find Lasers to be "tender".

I'll second Light and Variable Winds' assessment. The Sunfish is a much more stable and forgiving boat than the Laser. It might be a bit much for the younger kids, but the 16 year olds should be able to handle it just fine.

Unforgiving . . . especially compared to the Holder (a dog!). BUT it planes quicker (Once a teener has truly planed (s)he's onboard!) and on warm water, I think the kids would learn a lot more on the Laser, and I've seen 12 - 14 yr-olds pick it up really quickly. This is a case of ease for the instructors vs. challenge for the kids who are looking for it. Well, maybe not. . . a little more instructional emphasis on feathering the main makes a big difference. Hey, can you put the Laser in the mix as an objective?

For stability and ease of learning to sail I would vote for the Sunfish hands down. Not only that, once mastered, the Sunfish has great racing characteristics as well.

Thank you to all who have responded. great information and gives me an idea of which direction to take.

regards.....

I have sailed both and the Sunfish is a much better boat for teaching kids to sail. The only time a Laser is truely stable in the water is when it is upside down. It is fine for an experienced sailor but I wouldn't put a kid in one until he/she has mastered the Sunfish.

Back