Sunfish vs Imitation

Discussion in 'Sunfish Talk' started by Merrimac, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Merrimac

Merrimac Member

Is there anything that is gained with a legit sunfish over say a howmar phantom. There is a sunfish for $1400 but the phantom is only $600. Both have trailers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am trying to get a good boat but is the sunfish really worth the extra $800 over the phantom?
    Thanks,
    Merrimac

2. sailcraftri

sailcraftri Well-Known Member

That particular Sunfish is not worth the $800 difference so I would go with the Phantom. I just think for its age, the Sunfish in the photo with trailer is over priced. It is probably a mid 70's boat so with trailer maybe $800 at most (here in New England).

3. Merrimac

Merrimac Member

Thanks, I also thought it was a bit overpriced... but I am a newbie

4. tag

tag my2fish

part of it will depend on how you plan to use it, and whether it will now (or in the future) need parts.

if you don't plan to race in Sunfish races, then it makes sense to buy the cheaper boat.

but, the Sunfish will (most likely) be much easier to find replacement parts for if you want to upgrade or repair anything.

cheers,
    tag

5. Merrimac

Merrimac Member

Speaking of which... where would one find phantom parts?

6. AQBill

AQBill Member

7. sailcraftri

I have Phantom bailers, new, all pieces for $10. Contact me at cjo1023 at yahoo-dot-com.

8. rohrbeck

rohrbeck New Member

I'd guess the sunfish will be easier to sell when the time comes, and it always does.

9. Merrimac

Merrimac Member

True, the sunfish just came on the market but the phantom has been there for 2 weeks.

10. signal charlie

signal charlie Active Member Staff Member

Price depends on where you are at. Down here in the Florida panhandle that Sunfish would sell quick at that price. OTOH I had problems unloading two really clean Butterflies. Also the galvanized trailer looks to be in good shape, that brings 400-600 dollars here.
    We like Sunfish for ease of sailing, one person setup, simplicity, parts availability and resale market and value.

11. sailcraftri

I think I'll bring my Sunfish to FL from now on...

12. Wavedancer

Wavedancer Upside down? Staff Member

I would try to negotiate a better price on the Sunfish

13. Merrimac

Merrimac Member

Would it be worth it to get a "beater" type sunfish to use as a first boat and a project sunfish to work with over time for $500? I personally would love to restore the project boat, and learn to sail on a boat that really can be be used roughly(Newbie). What are your opinions?:confused:

14. cnovark

cnovark Member

I wouldn't spend over a thousand on a (used, non-serious racing) Sunfish. I found a good (1969) boat with trailer, racing sail, and fiberglass daggerboard for $750. I think for $500 you should be able to find something a step up from a total beater, but if you wanna repair it, I'd say go for it! :) I'm also pretty much a newb, for what it's worth :)

15. Merrimac

Merrimac Member

Does anyone know about a sailboat made by Sunfish/laser called the daysailer? 17' and sloop rigged. Any experience with this boat?

16. Wavedancer

http://www.daysailer.org/

To my (limited) knowledge, the Day Sailer is a sailed by two. It's reasonably popular in the North Eastern part of the USA and used for frostbiting.

17. Merrimac

Merrimac Member

Can it be singlehanded?

18. Merrimac

Merrimac Member

Wavedancer,
    "frostbiting" I know it means winter sailing but do you imply that it is a "Dry" boat?

19. Wavedancer

I was wrong :eek: about the frostbiting; mixed up the Day Sailer with the Interclub (another sloop-rigged sailboat).
    I also don't know if these boats can be considered "dry" boats. In almost all dinghies you will get wet at times, even when you don't capsize.
    Anyway, frostbiters in the Northeast typically wear drysuits. Therefore, getting wet doesn't matter much.

20. LAuman

LAuman Member

The Day Sailor I recall was pretty big. . . 16 - 17 ft., 600+ lbs and took crew of 2 or 3. It was pretty handy for its size, capable of planing, and very dry to sail (for a dinghy). I would guess you could single hand it, but it would be a handful to launch and retrieve.