Sunfish Variant?

Alger

Hi, I’m getting this boat later this week and wondering if anyone has any information about the builder or history of these boat? It has a swan emblem on the tail, built in Los Angeles but can no longer see the manufacturer due to aging.

Attachments

• IMG_1148.jpeg
    IMG_1148.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 102
  • IMG_1149.jpeg
    IMG_1149.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 110
"Los Angeles" and "Swan" are is more clues to these mysterious boats.

There have been two others mentioned here in the last two years. I'll have to put on my thinking cap to recall what guesses to run here at "Search".

"Swan" didn't work.

Could this boat already have been discussed here--and you bought it?

Meant for sailing in heavy surf?

That the builder moved the halyard directly behind mast, and relocated the mainsheet block aft tells me this has a tall rig or a lot of sail area. That the rear deck is greatly extended means the skipper had to step back pretty far to counteract a very strong pull from the main.

The sail may have a logo to search.

When it comes into your possession, enlarge the "Swan" logo on the back and let all of us try to put together the words that fit in the circle.

Please. :)

Last edited:
Hi, the boat in question was abandoned on a small high Sierra lake so history is unknown. Here is a photo of the logo and the original manufacturer sticker. I’ve spent hours scouring google and haven’t found anything.
13095D94-3B26-4AA5-8D96-1D31D3373481.jpeg
A2A9CE5F-F3B6-4AA0-966D-D95515355694.jpeg

Attachments

• FDE6B7A9-14F4-43E7-9740-613F680BD849.jpeg
    FDE6B7A9-14F4-43E7-9740-613F680BD849.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 92
  • 235CE2D4-0233-4DA5-AA47-6939DB5CCDB7.jpeg
    235CE2D4-0233-4DA5-AA47-6939DB5CCDB7.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 107
Hi, I’m getting this boat later this week and wondering if anyone has any information about the builder or history of these boat? It has a swan emblem on the tail, built in Los Angeles but can no longer see the manufacturer due to aging.
The North Texas Sailing organization has the most complete list I know of that lists “Clonefish”, but nothing on it seems to fit. Is that really a fin on the stern?
Unless you are really skilled at fabricating things I’d give this boat a pass. People have trouble finding parts for Phantoms. Spare parts for this could well be unobtainium!
Sure looks kind of 1950’s cool though!

This is the most info we have had on this. It appears to have a new-style Sunfish rudder gudgeon, dating this to 1972 or newer. Must have a curved tiller to get the tiller down to deck level. What an unusual boat!!!

So I picked up the sail, mast, dagger board and rudder today, rigged more along the lines of a Laser, I’ll post more pics tomorrow or the next day. I need rigging, I haven’t laid out the sail yet but it seems big. It’s the original sail so if others with this boat need a replacement this could be used as a template. Thank you everyone for the information thus far! It appears to be a very interesting boat.

Hi, the boat in question was abandoned on a small high Sierra lake so history is unknown. Here is a photo of the logo and the original manufacturer sticker. I’ve spent hours scouring google and haven’t found anything.
This is the most info we have had on this. It appears to have a new-style Sunfish rudder gudgeon, dating this to 1972 or newer. Must have a curved tiller to get the tiller down to deck level. What an unusual boat!!!
here is a picture of the tiller
B5071DB0-D0CE-44EF-8C22-F83A673838B8.jpeg

Here are some photos with the sail mounted, ordered rigging kit for Lazer which will hopefully be a close fit

58C08452-09A0-447C-A466-A90DAB9C83EE.jpeg
C1AE6C80-8458-48E0-9853-6CA37550D0C8.jpeg
C1AE6C80-8458-48E0-9853-6CA37550D0C8.jpeg
B7BAFE5B-377E-4532-A7A0-2E85A69E38E0.jpeg
E00D0A81-85F0-4F24-A27E-FB28131123DD.jpeg

Reactions: tag
ordered rigging kit for Lazer which will hopefully be a close fit
What exactly did you order? I often advise against buying kits, as they practically always include stuff you don’t really want, and still don’t have all that you do need!
Looking at the pictures, the three things I see missing are 1) the mainsheet, 2) the battens, and 3) a clew tiedown line or strap.

The rudder is whole another problem area. Is that a Sunfish rudder blade, just attached backwards?
And the tiller... I think we all expected to see something surrealistically long and double-bent, but what picture 14 shows looks like a standard Sunfish tiller (with a rather short extension). It won’t work. It should reach the cockpit (or nearly so) with the blade down, and pass under the traveller, as close to the deck as feasible. I can’t think of a quick fix now, but hopefully someone will :confused:

_

What exactly did you order? I often advise against buying kits, as they practically always include stuff you don’t really want, and still don’t have all that you do need!
Looking at the pictures, the three things I see missing are 1) the mainsheet, 2) the battens, and 3) a clew tiedown line or strap.

The rudder is whole another problem area. Is that a Sunfish rudder blade, just attached backwards?
And the tiller... I think we all expected to see something surrealistically long and double-bent, but what picture 14 shows looks like a standard Sunfish tiller (with a rather short extension). It won’t work. It should reach the cockpit (or nearly so) with the blade down, and pass under the traveller, as close to the deck as feasible. I can’t think of a quick fix now, but hopefully someone will :confused:

_
I ordered a generic rigging kit for a Lazer but may end up making my own based on the boat. At least the kit will provide a starting point. I agree the rudder looks like it’s from a Sunfish so not sure that’s what they used originally or perhaps it was replaced at some point? I can’t find photos of an original rudder and tiller. I’m probably going to make a new tiller handle using the bracket provided but would love to find a photo of an original rudder and tiller.

There is no one ”generic” kit for Lasers. There are deck kits, vang kits, ”recreational” kits, etc, none of which make much sense in your situation. Can you post a link to what you ordered? I have a strong feeling you’re about to waste your money on redundant/unusable equipment.

(Sorry that I can’t help with the tiller :( That’s the one thing that keeps you off the water at the moment.)

_

Veeerrrryyy interesting! Thanks for posting the photos. What an unusual boat!!

Now I understand why the bridle/traveler setup is so far forward.

Yes, the rudder appears to be mounted backwards, the Cunningham doesn’t look like there is a place to cleat it, and you do need new lines. It looks like the sail is sleeved and doesn’t use a halyard.

If you ordered a Laser line kit for the original Laser vang, outhaul, etc you’ll probably have about what you need. Getting a loooonnnggg curved tiller seems like it’ll be the hardest part. Looking forward to seeing how this goes!

Back