Question Sunfish similarities to the Butterfly?

Seashells

Hi all, I’m a complete beginner to sailing. My friend and I recently acquired a Sunfish but haven’t had a chance to take it out yet. I also recently went on a vacation at a lake house and had full access to a Butterfly sailboat for about a week. That was my first time ever sailing. I got used to it pretty quickly and I felt it was such a good beginner boat (albeit the wind wasn’t ever too strong). I’m wondering if anyone can offer similarities between the Butterfly and Sunfish and if you can share any experiences. Thanks!!

The Butterfly is more tender compared to the Sunfish because of its rolled Chine. It also has a large 2 part mast, around 18 feet I believe, that is tricky to step. Same square footage of sail on a scow hull, so the waterline is about the same as a Sunfish.

We had two at one point, but the deal breaker for us was the mast. If you could leave it rigged somewhere...

IMG_0187.jpg

Audrey Butterfly SEII.jpg

SE II sunfish beach.jpg

Audrey Sweet Emotion Butterfly.jpg

The Butterfly is more tender compared to the Sunfish because of its rolled Chine. It also has a large 2 part mast, around 18 feet I believe, that is tricky to step. Same square footage of sail on a scow hull, so the waterline is about the same as a Sunfish.

We had two at one point, but the deal breaker for us was the mast. If you could leave it rigged somewhere...

View attachment 56617

View attachment 56618

View attachment 56619

View attachment 56620

View attachment 56617

View attachment 56618

View attachment 56619

View attachment 56620
Oh my gosh the mast was a nightmare! On our vacation we didn’t have any internet and had to figure out how to rig it based on poorly written instructions. The mast actually fell on my foot because we had to unhook one of the side stays since the halyard got caught in a shackle that was on the mast head. Thankfully we only had to rig it once and the only thing we needed to do all week was just raise the halyard, loop the main sheet rope, and attach the rudder and daggerboard. The main sheet rope also kept getting tangled because it was silky soft which was annoying and I wished the rudder had an extender because when I tried to tack I sometimes couldn’t reach it.
Thank you for your lovely pictures too! Taking it out on the ocean seems so fun, the lake we were on was surrounded by a forest which I think blocked a lot of wind. I’m so excited to take out the Sunfish soon, I’m sure I’ll have some questions once we actually try to rig her and sail haha. Thanks!!

The Butterfly is often a kid's trainer at many mid-west (Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota) clubs that race larger scow classes. The sailing instructors often tie a plastic milk bottle to the top of the mast to make it easier to right after a capsize and to prevent "turning turtle." Looks funny but works. Like the Sunfish, the Butterfly has a very simple rig. A well sailed Sunfish is probably faster, but the Butterfly is a good trainer.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

That’s funny you mention midwest, our vacation was in Michigan! Luckily didn’t need any milk jugs but the winds weren’t too strong at all. When they did pick up a little I was cruising, I’m excited to see how much faster the Sunfish is!!

Back